will ebikes drop in price and get better like a laptop or other electronics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Battery technology is improving quickly so I would expect they'll get better for a given price.

OP
OP
W

windy7777

cool ive wanted a ebike the day i saw one in walmart .it had 2 huge batteries hugeeee... id guess the batts weighed 40 pounds alone.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't have an ebike but I have a good friend who uses one to commute five miles to work in London. He's been doing so for a few years. I was amazed at how heavy it is compared to mine.

Stul

Veteran
..you may find that the technology will improve but the prices will stay the same? There seems to be a shortage combined with high demand, so not much incentive for suppliers to drop prices?

gzoom

Über Member
Battery technology is improving quickly so I would expect they'll get better for a given price.

Battery technology has plateaued, however prices are falling, and cost of motors will get cheaper as brand recoup their R&D costs.

A bit like electric cars (which aren't really getting any cheaper), it will be along time before they get really cheap.

Drago

Legendary Member
I would suggest the pace of battery development has slowed considerabky in the last few years. LiOn has one almost as far as it can go developmentally and we really need a breakthrough or a new technology. In terms of energy density little has changed in 2 decades.

Furthermore, there is a massive ramp up in demand for the raw materials due to the rise of the battery car.

And then there is the rise in demand, and consequently price, of the bicycle itself.

As things stand today, I reckon the foreseeable is not going to bring any appreciable reduction in ebike prices, and on the balance of probabilities a continuous, inexorable rise in price seems most likely, and will continue until otherm currently unforeseen market forces intervene.

I don't have an ebike but I have a good friend who uses one to commute five miles to work in London. He's been doing so for a few years. I was amazed at how heavy it is compared to mine.

Indeedy. Mine is at the lighter end of the scale for a full size, XL, diamond framed ebike at a mere 18kg, which still dwarfs the lardiest of my full squidge MTBs.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Battery technology is moving at a glacial pace.

Lithium ion became common in the early 2000s.

Nearly twenty years later, energy density has hardly improved at all.

New technology batteries appear regularly and look promising but never get any further than the lab's test bench.

It's great scientists are trying, and someone might crack it one day, but at the moment lithium is the only game in town.

CXRAndy

Guru
Lithium cells chemistry has changed, with incremental improvements, nothing astounding but are decent. The Anode delete Tesla is using on its latest Model Y and 3 are clear examples of development. This will filter down to others. Dry cell technology will be the next improved battery.

D

Deleted member 26715

Hopefully now the cheaters are getting more involved, i.e. Sports teams, with both Formula E & Extreme E, where the teams main concern is circumventing the rules & developing an advantage something good will come out. Although I still think electric powered vehicles is a white elephant.

D

Deleted member 26715

Interesting point - I take it you mean as an alternative to tradit engine cars - care to start a new thread?
I think there are already a few on here, but by all means start another on the specifics

Drago

Legendary Member
Not until sales slow and at present it's just the opposite. Cost plus pricing disappeared long ago so even if they could build these bikes for 30% less they wouldn't sell them at lower prices until sales slow down.
^^^ This. Look how many hundreds, or even a thousand or more, of pounds people are willing to drop on an iphone that cost $20 to manifacture. They could sell them for $100 dollar and still do very nicely, but they don't because people are daft enough willing to pay the exorbitant prices. So it probably is with ebikes.

Top Bottom