Will I always be this slow?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
My just under 6 miles takes me about 20 - 25 mins dependent on traffic and traffic lights.

I am incredibly efficient at excess body heat removal* and tend to go as fast as my legs will take me on that particular day.

I used to be much slower on my old hybrid bike, but changing to a road bike and getting fitter has helped.

Your speed *could* be to do with not being familiar with your gears, but experience will help you in this department. No need to worry!

Think of your 'slowness' as lulling all those that blast past you into a nice false sense of security... and then you can leave them standing one day, it'll make it all worth while. :angry::biggrin:

* I sweat like a pig in the oven

danny121

Have to agree with everyone else - you'll get faster over time by learning how to anticipate the traffic lights' sequence, learning the roads themselves, and of course you'll simply get fitter and faster. Takes time though.

But no matter how fast you get, there'll always be someone that goes past riding no-hands whilst rolling a cigarette, just a fact of life :biggrin:.

i dont think that it really matters if your slow or not, i personally have only been commuting for about a month, ona a hybrid, and my 7 mile commute was about 35-40 mins to start, now i average about 28-30 mins, the other week, i thrashed it home, and did 23 mins!!!!- i got a few nasty hills, but you cannot judge one route with a different one...

a guy at work asked me if i felt fitter yet, i said no, but then realised that i can get up the hills pretty easy now, whereas before i was dying and getting stitches!!- he also said it looks like im losing a little weight, not sure how true that is or if hes just willing me on, either way, it helps..

as long as you are enjoying it, and are happy with your personnal improvement, to hell with what other people can do!!!!!

Batzman

Yup, you'll get faster ... I was doing 8 miles in about 45 mins when I first started, (in february) I got that down to about 30 mins with fitness (and a switch from MTB to hybrid) ... now I'm doing about 18 miles in just over an hour...

Top Bottom