Will I Fit In...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

This is an "old chestnut" if ever there were one.

It's not worth it. :biggrin:

Really it's not - no need for division. Someone doesnae wave...move on.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
briank said:
The only one I don't say hello to/wave at is a fella who commutes the opposite direction from me on the A6 - on an electrically-assisted cycle. Is that snobbery?
PS I don't wave at people walking their dogs either. I like dogs, but don't when on a bike at least, feel any special affinity with them.

There is an old man near me who uses an electric bike to get around... I think that it would be great when you get to that age and you still want to be on a bike that your tired legs can get a little help.

snorri

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
d... I think that it would be great when you get to that age and you still want to be on a bike that your tired legs can get a little help.

Well said summerdays:smile: I know just one such person in my locality who has covered many many miles under his own power, but now enjoys occasional powered help. With just a little assistance he still puts much younger cyclists to shame.
Respect;)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
John the Monkey said:
Interesting article on the Road Bike blog today that might be of interest to beginners.

I'm not sure whether the type of snobbery the author describes is widespread here in the UK or not, but the central message of the piece (get out and ride regardless) is a great one.

Interesting article. I cycle socially and commute. I wear normal clothes, I don't use SPD pedals (although maybe should) I've never been in a club, never found a club that remotely sounds all right for me. The old LBS in York I got the impression of that sort of thing there, most definitely. Very rarely got any acknowledgement when out riding. My average speeds are slow and have risen mindnumbingly slowly, I'm sure many others would look down on them but I think they're just all right. If cycling didn't match other interests which suffer from the same sorts of things then I would think it odd. Maybe it is different for other people but that's the way I see it so I think it's a good article.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I work on the theory that if someone's on a bike then that's a good thing. I'd always wave, nod, say 'Hello' or whatever, stop to help or ask if they've got everything they need, and try to say hello to anyone I've not seen before on a club run.
That's just me.
I've made some fantastic friendships purely by seeing someone who might need help, and offering it. YMMV.

mondobongo

Über Member
punkypossum said:
A roadie in full lycra said hello to me tonight, and I was going dead slow on a mountain bike in combat pants!!! See!!! :angry:;)

Were you in Blackpool? I let on to loads of riders but rarely get acknowledged other Roadies deffo come out the worst. Don't worry about it anymore if you let on you let on. The couple on Tourers going into Thornton last Monday evening were well freaked out when the Roadie said hi as he went past.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
marinyork said:
... I don't use SPD pedals (although maybe should)

To divert the thread slightly, it's well worth thinking about. They're way more secure than flats in the wet, and very efficient compared to ordinary pedals. See if you can grab a cheap pair on eBay (or when Merlin Cycles do one of their shoe+pedal deals, which is how I got mine), I think you'd be surprised by how much better they are.

stephenb

Guru
on the very rare occasions I overtake anybody I'm never sure whether to say anything in case they think I'm showing off, so I usually just mumble something or keep quiet. Really don't what the best thing is to do.:biggrin:

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
stephenb said:
on the very rare occasions I overtake anybody I'm never sure whether to say anything in case they think I'm showing off, so I usually just mumble something or keep quiet. Really don't what the best thing is to do.:biggrin:

Same here - I do let on to people coming the other way, sat at the lights etc, but it does seem a bit like going "ha ha" to say something while overtaking.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I never say anything to those I'm overtaking, don't want to make them wobble or anything (or seem to be showing off).. but I do have a chat at any lights we stop at (assuming they stop of course!).

You can tell from the first few words whether they are chatty or not, and whether it's worth pursuing... some just completely blank you, some will chat happily. Makes no difference to me what bike they're riding as long as they're doing it fairly safely (i.e. not bombing down the pavement etc.)

Top Bottom