Will I Fit In...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Interesting article on the Road Bike blog today that might be of interest to beginners.

...if you are new to cycling, and you are wondering if you will fit in…the answer is no. But, it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you are part of cycling. We want you to be part of us.
I'm not sure whether the type of snobbery the author describes is widespread here in the UK or not, but the central message of the piece (get out and ride regardless) is a great one.

Nice one. About time someone said it.

Get out and ride - fine. Hmm... not sure about the 'we want you to be part of us' though, or about the 'fitting in'. It sounds as if cycling is some kind of club you have to be admitted to.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
That the problem with those who cycle for mere sport, those of us who regard cycling as every day transport have no such worries;)

EmGee DK

Actually its spot on for the danish scene. We only have one forum for cyclist and its pretty snobby. I thinks its mainly because the licensed riders (dont know if you have to have a license in the UK for riding in races, but in DK we do) dont consider us casual non-racing riders as true cyclists. And a fun thing is, that in the danish forum there is a thread about: Snobbery in cycling.

OP
OP
John the Monkey

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
no such snobbery here, even in my local cycling club (is that a club within a club?).

Nor on my route - I see one guy on the commute who never acknowledges anyone, but he's very much in the minority (of one).

I don't see many other folk at the Crewe end, but that might just be the times I'm out and about.

Danny

Legendary Member
Just wait and see what reaction you get when you go out in your men's swim suit

:biggrin:;):biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Those who cycle for sport, or fitness and nothing else, will always see cycling as a vehicle for their main aim, be it winning or sweating alone! The rest of us, tourists and utility riders, will never be seen in the same light as their fellow sufferers.

Sorry about the pun but I couldn't resist it.

girofan

EmGee DK said:
Actually its spot on for the danish scene. We only have one forum for cyclist and its pretty snobby. I thinks its mainly because the licensed riders (dont know if you have to have a license in the UK for riding in races, but in DK we do) dont consider us casual non-racing riders as true cyclists. And a fun thing is, that in the danish forum there is a thread about: Snobbery in cycling.

It's the same the World over! Most people on bikes smile or wave, but you will always get the racing elitists. When they eventually grow up they realise what prats they have been and acknowledge everyone.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
punkypossum said:
A roadie in full lycra said hello to me tonight, and I was going dead slow on a mountain bike in combat pants!!! See!!! :blush:;)

That is because you are cute :angry: an attractive young lady, Jana;)

briank

The only one I don't say hello to/wave at is a fella who commutes the opposite direction from me on the A6 - on an electrically-assisted cycle. Is that snobbery?
PS I don't wave at people walking their dogs either. I like dogs, but don't when on a bike at least, feel any special affinity with them.

Top Bottom