1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I Fit In...?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by John the Monkey, 23 Apr 2008.

1. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Interesting article on the Road Bike blog today that might be of interest to beginners.

I'm not sure whether the type of snobbery the author describes is widespread here in the UK or not, but the central message of the piece (get out and ride regardless) is a great one.

2. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Nice one. About time someone said it.

3. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Get out and ride - fine. Hmm... not sure about the 'we want you to be part of us' though, or about the 'fitting in'. It sounds as if cycling is some kind of club you have to be admitted to.

4. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

That the problem with those who cycle for mere sport, those of us who regard cycling as every day transport have no such worries;)

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

no such snobbery here, even in my local cycling club (is that a club within a club?).

6. EmGee DK

EmGee DK New Member

Actually its spot on for the danish scene. We only have one forum for cyclist and its pretty snobby. I thinks its mainly because the licensed riders (dont know if you have to have a license in the UK for riding in races, but in DK we do) dont consider us casual non-racing riders as true cyclists. And a fun thing is, that in the danish forum there is a thread about: Snobbery in cycling.

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Nor on my route - I see one guy on the commute who never acknowledges anyone, but he's very much in the minority (of one).

I don't see many other folk at the Crewe end, but that might just be the times I'm out and about.

8. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

A roadie in full lycra said hello to me tonight, and I was going dead slow on a mountain bike in combat pants!!! See!!! :biggrin:;)

9. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Just wait and see what reaction you get when you go out in your men's swim suit

:biggrin:;):biggrin:

10. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

11. byegad

byegad Guru

Those who cycle for sport, or fitness and nothing else, will always see cycling as a vehicle for their main aim, be it winning or sweating alone! The rest of us, tourists and utility riders, will never be seen in the same light as their fellow sufferers.

Sorry about the pun but I couldn't resist it.

12. girofan

girofan New Member

It's the same the World over! Most people on bikes smile or wave, but you will always get the racing elitists. When they eventually grow up they realise what prats they have been and acknowledge everyone.

13. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

That is because you are cute :angry: an attractive young lady, Jana;)

14. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

but only if you change your avatar to a fish one...

15. briank

briank New Member

The only one I don't say hello to/wave at is a fella who commutes the opposite direction from me on the A6 - on an electrically-assisted cycle. Is that snobbery?
    PS I don't wave at people walking their dogs either. I like dogs, but don't when on a bike at least, feel any special affinity with them.