Will I notice the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

I've currently got an aluminium frame with a steel fork, sora groupset.

I've seen a bargain bike brand new with carbon forks, carbon stays, 105 groupset and mavic askium wheels.

It's going to cost me £500, is it going to be worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Martin

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The bike is that spec and costs £500!

Ahem. I think the answer is yes - gears you'll be able to change easily from the drops alone has to be worth something - the carbon bits should give a nicer ride, and the componentry is pretty high level compared to Sora. Go for it - or tell one of us who's selling so we can :blush:

OP
OP
B

bianco

Decathlon, and it's actually £489.00

I've had mine reserved in store for a while and picking it up Saturday.

However I'm getting a little concerned as it's now been pulled from the Decathlon site as I've tried to find a link!!

RedBike

The materials used in the frame and fork are arguably not as important as the way they're used / the design. So lot depends on the quality of each bike. In theory though you should get a lighter bike thats more comfortable.

As for the groupset. 105 noticeably shifts/brakes better than Sora; and it should last longer too. A lot depends on how the bikes maintained.

BTW, I loved my Decathlon frame. One of the best frames i've ever had.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bianco said:
I've currently got an aluminium frame with a steel fork, sora groupset.

I've seen a bargain bike brand new with carbon forks, carbon stays, 105 groupset and mavic askium wheels.

It's going to cost me £500, is it going to be worth the upgrade?

Thanks

Martin

is it from halfords?

my main bike is an upgraded carrera (merida made) frameset now with carbon forks and full tiagra groupset. it's much nicer than it was, and this could be the route to go down if you don't have room for more than one bike (and cheaper).

sounds a belting bike for the price though.

Top Bottom