Will most mtb wheels take a 1.75" tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Hi I need to get a new front wheel for my old 1980s Raleigh Mustang.
Screenshot_2018-03-05-19-23-49-1.png

Will most mtb wheels be compatible with my bike and will most accommodate my 1.75" tyres?
Also, if I get one with a quick release lever, will it be compatible with my front fork?
Thanks

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi I need to get a new front wheel for my old 1980s Raleigh Mustang.
View attachment 398707
Will most mtb wheels be compatible with my bike and will most accommodate my 1.75" tyres?
Also, if I get one with a quick release lever, will it be compatible with my front fork?
Thanks
Yep and Yep, nice bikes the old Mustang. :becool:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Couple of things to consider.
Make sure your new wheel is rim brake compatible.
Looks like you currently have steel chromed rims. You will struggle to get one of these as a replacement so may need to swap brake pads for Some alloy compatible ones?
Beware of the braking difference between alloy and steel rims. You are likely to be shot over the handlebars if you get it wrong.....

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Couple of things to consider.
Make sure your new wheel is rim brake compatible.
Looks like you currently have steel chromed rims. You will struggle to get one of these as a replacement so may need to swap brake pads for Some alloy compatible ones?
Beware of the braking difference between alloy and steel rims. You are likely to be shot over the handlebars if you get it wrong.....
Thanks.
Yes, the original wheel is steel/chrome. The current front brake is utterly useless in the wet. I'll check what brakes are on there at the moment.
Thanks

Top Bottom