will new shoes make a difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
just taken delivery of some nice shimano 131b shoes. more comfy and lighter than my other shimano shoes, whose sole is losing a little rigidity. but the new ones have a super stiff carbon fibre sole. will this make much difference?

stevenb

As long as the sole is stiff and firm then you'll notice it over softer ones. The support and power transition through your feet will be felt much better.
My new shoes are the same as yours but without the ratchet strao. I have R099's and they are superb.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
good to know. i'm at home with the kids tonight so will have to wait until tomorrow's commute (which they won't see too often) to try them out.

my old shoes are similar to the ones you've got for sale, so the comparison is a useful one :biggrin:

stevenb

My R098B's are excelletn shoes and have stiff soles...probably equal to my current shoes....I bought my news ones so the looks match my kit and bike :biggrin:
I still have them......if I don't sell them (not giving them away) then they'll make useful spares.:smile:

I also own a piar of Diadora MTB shoes with SPD cleats and they are the most comfy bike shoes I have ever worn...ever....:smile:...way more so than my Sidi Dominators which I had about 10 years back.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
spds are about comfort and convenience, rather than speed imho. i have a pair from lidl that are quite good (although i'm not sure about the wisdom of laces that long), but i don't really like the "feel" of spd.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
When i changed to new stiffer carbon soled shoes i got terrible cramp in the arches of my feet, for the first few rides. It only lasted a month, but it made riding a real pain.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Steve Austin said:
When i changed to new stiffer carbon soled shoes i got terrible cramp in the arches of my feet, for the first few rides. It only lasted a month, but it made riding a real pain.

do you reckon i should wear them in on the commute for a couple of weeks? i'm planning to use them for non-commuting rides, apart from those days in the summer when, even if it is for the commute, you just put on your best kit for the hell of it.

steve, was your problem maybe related to the cleat position?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a little trouble too when I got my Spesh Pro Carbons - until I tightened the ratchet right up.... took a little while to get used to new shoes, but they are mega stiff....much better than my Genius 2's... wouldn't trade them in now - use them all weathers - I just put waterproof overshoes on when it's damp.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
alecstilleyedye said:
steve, was your problem maybe related to the cleat position?

I have no idea what caused it. I just think it was down to having really stiff shoes.

monnet

Guru
I've got the RO99's too. I hate new shoes, they always take so long to set up (2 pairs in ten years and I only bought the second pair in teh summer). I found the carbon sole was a revelation in power transfer.

I didn't need to wear them in, just work hard on getting the cleat position right and get used to them in general. I don't know about other people but the problems I have with new shoes mean that I get a pair and always use them, so by all means use them on the commute. I'd expect them to last a good few years anyway so why save them?!

Top Bottom