Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Firstly, we need 85-90% of the population to be immune for herd immunity to work. Secondly, we do not yet know whether having antibodies actually makes someone immune and for how long.
I'm afraid you're a step ahead even there. We need to figure out if having had the virus even means you produce antibodies in the long term.

We are way, way off any kind of 'herd immunity' and it's not clear if such a thing is even possible.

So .. 2 outlet valves ...? thats good then ...
Definitely! Clearly as you are sending out two lots of vapour in excess of 2 metres, Then you are giving covid19 to twice as many people. Originally they said all masks were useless then they weren't, now your implying just ones with valves?
What next? masks are preimpregnated with covad19!
Until they have some consistency everything said is worthless including your links.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Definitely! Clearly as you are sending out two lots of vapour in excess of 2 metres, Then you are giving covid19 to twice as many people. Originally they said all masks were useless then they weren't, now your implying just ones with valves?
What next? masks are preimpregnated with covad19!
Until they have some consistency everything said is worthless including your links.
I was being sarcastic .....

lane

Veteran
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...inst-the-coronavirus-and-should-you-wear-one/

A review of 30+ studies does not provide a great deal of support for wearing masks. Home made and cloth coverings really aren't much good you would be better using a medical mask. That's my reading anyway (I tend to skim read so may miss things). So:
  1. Why are we being told to wear cloth masks when there is little evidence they are effective
  2. Why are we told NOT to wear medical mask when they are actually a better option
  3. Does it worry you that social distancing will be watered down on the basis people use masks when they are not effective anyway and we are being told to use the absolute least effective option available
  4. Given the above will you bother to use a cloth face covering?
  5. Has Trump got it right all along (clearly unlikely)

Landsurfer

Veteran
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...inst-the-coronavirus-and-should-you-wear-one/

A review of 30+ studies does not provide a great deal of support for wearing masks. Home made and cloth coverings really aren't much good you would be better using a medical mask. That's my reading anyway (I tend to skim read so may miss things). So:
  1. Why are we being told to wear cloth masks when there is little evidence they are effective
  2. Why are we told NOT to wear medical mask when they are actually a better option
  3. Does it worry you that social distancing will be watered down on the basis people use masks when they are not effective anyway and we are being told to use the absolute least effective option available
1. Placebo for the masses ...
2. They are needed by medical staff, not those too frightened of their own shadows.
3. Not in the slightest, social distancing in the UK is a distraction and leading to the destruction of the UK economy.
4. No.
5. Trump ... You get the politicians you deserve USA...

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
I think I am with you on most of your answers. But number 2, if the Government are serious about people using masks then why not make arrangements to supply large numbers of effective masks to everyone?

Landsurfer

Veteran
I think I am with you on most of your answers. But number 2, if the Government are serious about people using masks then why not make arrangements to supply large numbers of effective masks to everyone?
The government are not serious about masks .... they know a means of keeping the masses quiet when they see one ....:sad:

Rocky

Hello decadence

So that link is from 9 April and things have moved on quite a bit since then....

Here's a readable article (published in early May) from Vanity Fair which summarised things nicely and recommends that we wear masks to protect each other....and if we do it will have a dramatic effect on reducing the transmission of the virus:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/05/masks-covid-19-infections-would-plummet-new-study-says

If anyone is on Twitter, Jeremy Howard from the US is the go-to scientist for the latest evidence and studies.......here's a good place to start:

View: https://twitter.com/jeremyphoward/status/1274036544387477504?s=20

Julia9054

Guru

Version 2. Using up the last of my Zimbabwean fabric

MntnMan62

Über Member
1. Placebo for the masses ...
2. They are needed by medical staff, not those too frightened of their own shadows.
3. Not in the slightest, social distancing in the UK is a distraction and leading to the destruction of the UK economy.
4. No.
5. Trump ... You get the politicians you deserve USA...

Boris.......:laugh:

That said, there are many of us who find drumpf to be a vile, disgusting, evil insect who should be squashed under the sole of a shoe. And just when you don't think he can be any more repugnant, he proves you wrong.

Last edited:

Ashimoto

On my local bus there was a poster stating you didn't have to wear a surgical mask. You could make one out of an old t shirt. Scarves etc is acceptable. The t shirt statement is actually mentioned on the poster.

Top Bottom