Will there be a new bike price war?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll depend on the manufacturer and their ability to obtain components. Specialized still have a shortage of bikes available, as do others, but availability will increase. My son's team bike manufacturer have a delivery date of late Feb/early March for their 2021 bikes as they've also got a component supply issue.

Most of the bikes retailers have will either be customer returns or really unwanted ones due to the level of demand in the Spring. We'll also see a glut of hardly-used bikes coming through.

It'll depend on your budget and what type of bike you're after but indications are supply is getting back to normal. Not over-supply nor full supply yet but getting closer.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My feeling is if one wants to order a bike today for delivery ASAP there are no deals or discounts to be had. Depending on the supplier it's quite possible one will have to wait till spring.

Once that demand is filled prices may well be discounted and lead times much shorter.

My problem is I want to order a new bike.........do I order or do I wait???

I've been looking at bikes online for the last six months or so and it's pretty clear that supply issues have flipped around 180 degrees.

I've been making do with an old modified Halfords Apollo MTB and buying spares from wherever could get them because there was nothing much available online or in store. Anything second hand listed online was also equally expensive.

My local bike shop had nothing a few weeks ago but is now starting to see stock flowing in.

Two weeks ago, Halfords only had ten bikes listed as "in stock" and they were mainly kids bikes or entry level MTB's.

Today, there are 221 bikes listed as in stock on the Halfords website including hybrids and so called "gravel" bikes which were unobtainable back in June or July.

With all of this stock suddenly flowing in at the same time as demand is dropping, will we see a new bike price war?

No I'm pretty sure things are only going to be more expensive. Covid plus Brexit ?

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Most of the bikes retailers have will either be customer returns or really unwanted ones due to the level of demand in the Spring. We'll also see a glut of hardly-used bikes coming through.
I've spent over £500 keeping my bike on the road over the last six months. I've replaced the groupset, bottom bracket, all cables, wheel bearings, brakes and tyres. I wanted to buy something better but there was nothing around to buy.

Meanwhile, about four months ago during lockdown, I was seeing young couples riding around on brand new Boardman Adv 8.9's at just about every turn.

Those Boardman ADV 8.9's are now sitting at the back of garages all over the country gathering dust and rust.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've spent over £500 keeping my bike on the road over the last six months. I've replaced the groupset, bottom bracket, all cables, wheel bearings, brakes and tyres. I wanted to buy something better but there was nothing around to buy.

On an Apollo mountain bike? :wacko:

New you might have struggled but there were lots of secondhand bikes available - if you were prepared to travel. I was still buying and selling, although supply was a little harder.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My feeling is if one wants to order a bike today for delivery ASAP there are no deals or discounts to be had. Depending on the supplier it's quite possible one will have to wait till spring.

Once that demand is filled prices may well be discounted and lead times much shorter.

My problem is I want to order a new bike.........do I order or do I wait???
Want or need; wait or order..? ;)

I was lucky to get a cracking deal on a bike I'd been eying up for ages just before the 'rona surge really hit and I've thoroughly enjoyed the 2k+ miles I've done on it since. A rare bit of fortuitous timing on my part for once :laugh:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's 221 different bikes available in store at the local Halfords.

A couple of months ago, there were zero bikes available in store.

That's "warehouse stock", if you actually order one then you see what happens, it could be that they have that bike in that shop but more likely is that it'll be available to pick up in a day to 3 days. When they've moved it from Milton Keynes or wherever to your store.
I had this early this year, ordered from a Trek dealer who said it was in stock, received the bike at the shop 4 days later once it had been moved there from the warehouse.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am waiting for things to settle down , i am after a project bike eventually to build up as apart from a frame i have enough spares to make a bike but currently prices locally are still beyond my budget .

screenman

Legendary Member
Life is too short for waiting and it gets even shorter as you age.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont think bike prices will drop? Hope i am wrong and there is a price war.

Lots predicted that house prices would fall at least %25 after lockdown but if any thing they have gone up?

Prices in super markets seem a lot more now and again would like to see these prices drop as my weekly out goings now seem a lot more than they where?

cycberknight, have had similar issues with a washing machine one still under warranty and tbh will never relay on warranty again, when i phoned up was told if issue was incorrect insulation or blocked filter etc i would have to pay (almost as much as i paid for the machine) and if i took out extra protection before the repair man man called this would be covered?
Sod it for me just buy new if it ever plays up fork out for another?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Dont think bike prices will drop? Hope i am wrong and there is a price war.

Lots predicted that house prices would fall at least %25 after lockdown but if any thing they have gone up?

Prices in super markets seem a lot more now and again would like to see these prices drop as my weekly out goings now seem a lot more than they where?

cycberknight, have had similar issues with a washing machine one still under warranty and tbh will never relay on warranty again, when i phoned up was told if issue was incorrect insulation or blocked filter etc i would have to pay (almost as much as i paid for the machine) and if i took out extra protection before the repair man man called this would be covered?
Sod it for me just buy new if it ever plays up fork out for another?
this is not under warranty but as you say its not woth mending , if its the motor it can cost s much as to buy new one

I’m one of the lucky ones that is quids in with my washing machine. I paid for the out of warranty service and had them out three times. Once to replace the brains of the machine and zip tie the knob (common problem) as it would detach from the pins behind, once to replace the bushings and once to replace the leaking water pipe.

Shreds

You have to ask, do you really want/need another cycle or are you only looking for the discount? Businesses have all had a disasterous year and cashflow is always king. So in my view, yes prices will rise. They need to. If your turnover is reduced then 50% of sales but at double the prices means you at least hold your position. The panic buying earlier this year was largely by idiots who have now consigned their shiny new machines to the shed or back of the garage. I am seeing a small increase in numbers out but not to the extent we were seeing in May.

its not just a fad, its a lifetime choice, an attitude, a behavioural change that is required.

That takes guts to do and much more than being some keyboard warrior. Get out and ride, gain experience and listen to those with true knowledge. That way the bike trade will benefit, you should see both physical and financial benefits. The world gains as a result.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Probably only as a short-term result of the stamp duty "holiday" and lots of government spin during a time when many are still being paid to remain at home and a lot of slated job losses are yet to happen.

In addition housing is a completely different product / market / purchase to bikes, so I don't really think you can draw legitimate comparisons in any sense tbh.

Top Bottom