Will there be much of a change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter10

Being the person that I am, I am looking to make a few upgrades on my bike, but only want to make them if they are worthwhile. Wheels are on the top of my list, which I have asked about before so I wont start that again... however...

How much change will there be by upgrading my alloy stem, aluminium seat-post and drop handlebars to carbon ones? I have asked around from friends who cycle more than I do and I got mixed answers. Some say that apart from the weight there will be fairly noticeable changes in other areas like comfort where some say it won't make much of a difference at all. My rucksack will pretty much negate any weight change for my commutes, but on a training ride where I only have cycle kit on, will there be any noticeable difference? (or maybe even on the commute?)

Any views on this one?

Depends what you mean by worthwhile?

I'd say sweet fa in the general scheme of things - but there again I haven't got a carbon stem, seat-post or bars.

They might get you some extra bling points but nothing beats working that bit harder to improve performance.

raindog

er.....
but on a training ride where I only have cycle kit on, will there be any noticeable difference?
No there won't. You're talking about a few grammes difference. If your bike was going to be 1 or 2 kilos lighter, then yes, you'd feel the benefit when climbing, but not a few grammes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'd say there will definitely be an increase in comfort. Carbon is the dogs' wotsits for shock absorbtion.

lukesdad

Scandium posts and stems are lighter than Carbon. So unless you re doing it for comfort I wouldnt bother.

OP
OP
P

Peter10

Thanks for the replies. I have read (mostly on this forum) that carbon is good for shock absorption. I think I will hold off for a while and get some new wheels instead. I might treat myself to some Dura Ace WH7850 or something (purely from reviews being pretty good). I'm still kinda lost with what's best.

OP
OP
P

Peter10

Ah! Now you're talking! Invest money in a really good pair of wheels and you will feel a difference in performance.

I'm kind of confused about what to get. The wheels I got with my bike aren't sold as how I have them in shops (not where I can find anyway). They are:

Rims: Mach 1 CFX 700C
Front Hub: Joytech Alloy
Rear Hub: Joytech Alloy

I have no idea how much they weigh together as I can't find them listed. Anyone have experience or these parts? They come as standard on my Bianchi Nirone. I have a feeling they are pretty ordinary, so anything will be an upgrade.

Will1985

Über Member
Rims: Mach 1 CFX 700C = 460g per rim claimed
Front Hub: Joytech Alloy = 145g claimed w/o skewer
Rear Hub: Joytech Alloy = 395g claimed w/o skewer

Add in around 500g for plain gauge spokes and alloy nipples.

This gives a theoretical weight of 1.96kg for a wheelset which is possibly a bit low. I would have said just over 2kg as the older Ambrosio for Bianchi versions were.

Compared to a common handbuilt set, the extra weight is mostly in the hubs and the spokes. Consider that a Mavic Open Pro weighs 40g less per rim, which isn't that much, and a decent rear hub can weigh under 250g.
You'd have to find some 350g rims and decent hubs before you might start to notice a difference climbing. Then, all of that is negated if you stick on heavy tyres which are even further out in terms of rotational weight.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade any of the other components to carbon (ignore wrapped carbon) for weight saving or comfort - it's too expensive and IME isn't effective. Perhaps a more comfortable saddle or 25c tyres?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Feel per buck, then it has to be quality wheels and good lightweight race tyres (about 200g) - huge difference to how the bike feels, and the weight is saved at the furthest 'rotating' point is key. No point having the most super light hub, and a heavy rim/tyre.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For a comfortable ride look at Specialized Roubaix tyres. They're lightweight and have a slightly deeper profile for shock absorbtion.

Top Bottom