Will this drain me to the point of exhaustion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoshD94

hi, ok basically i haven't rode a long distance 5+ mile in over a year now, and ive just bought a road bike and im going for a ride this weekend. Last ride i remember was 10 mile, 44 minutes, average speed 14.7mph. I currently commute to work 3.2mile each way 5 days a week, however i think my fitness levels are at an all time low.

This Weekends ride is 15.8 mile through country roads, main roads, every road you name it! haha. Just wondering if i will be able to do it with a good average 13.5+? mph. Check out the route on my Hey guys, new bike topic also in this section.

Cheers Josh

Polocini

Veteran
Josh, you will be fine. Make sure you take plenty of fluids with you. And take some energy gels or bars. Not the sort of crappy lucozade ones but either sis, Cnp or zipvit. On a road bike you will eat up those miles. If you feel tired just ease off and take on some fluids or gel.
I'll bet you end up staying out longer than you plan!!!!!

Good luck
AL

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
15 miles is not a problem. Just don't take it too fast, particularly at first. Good to give yourself an average speed target, but start off steady, and don't ride above a speed where you can have a reasonable conversation with the person next to you. Will have to be imaginary if you are on your own.

25 miles is OK for someone who does a 3.2 mile commute daily. Anything above 40 will start to give you grief at the moment. Although easy to improve fitness to the point where 75 miles isn't too much of a physical strain.

Top Bottom