Will this junior bike be fine for a women?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Reynard rides junior bikes but she is more petite at 4’11

At 5’3 your wife should be ok on an XS or possibly S ladies bike though

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Should be absolutely fine, you’ll just need to raise the seat post. Her leg should be more or less straight sitting on the saddle with the pedal at six o’clock. It’s had some use so make all the usual checks, do the wheels run true? Are the spkes tight? Hold the front brake on and push the bars back and forth to feel any play. Do the gears change smoothly?
None of the above are deal breakers but may cost to rectify so use as a bargaining chip.

Last edited:
If it fits, then why not? There's absolutely nothing wrong with us shorter ladies riding junior bikes. :smile:

Just take your wife along to try it out for size when you go and view it.

At 5 ft 3, she will be at the upper limit of the height bracket for it, and she may potentially find the bike a bit cramped. You just won't know until she tries it; the bike looks to be about the same sort of size / geometry ballpark as my Wiggins Chartres 26, and as @vickster says, I am 4 inches *shorter* than your missus.

With that in mind, you do need to be aware of seatpost limits. If the reach (saddle to bars) is fine, you still might find yourself looking for a longer seatpost.

But if it's anything like my Wiggins, it'll be a nice ride if it's the right size.

OP
OP
D

drkash

We bought this junior bike as it was in new condition and a good price - the seat height is fine but it would be better if the handlebars were a bit higher - is it possible to raise the handlebars? If so how and is it expensive? Cheers

Attachments

• 15986503821907849460156466159815.jpg
    15986503821907849460156466159815.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 7
I was going to suggest adding spacers, but that looks about as high as things will go. @vickster has the right of things by suggesting an adjustable stem or a longer stem. Or both.

Measure the length of the one that's fitted and take it from there.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Thanks guys. Yes I thought about adding a spacer but when I had a closer look it is the highest it will go

Top Bottom