Will this make the roads safer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Horace Goes Skiing said:
I haven't read the entire thread but..

the responsibility lies entirely with the driver in this case. She wouldn't have hit him if she had been paying attention, so she is entirely at fault.

The issue of the RLJing is irrelevant.

Not entirely irrelevant. She also wouldn't have hit him had he stopped at the red light (or even remained observant while jumping it). I don't want to seem like I'm trying to absolve the car driver of all blame, but it seems to me that the cyclist should bear some responsibility for his own demise.

Maz

Guru
Horace Goes Skiing said:
I haven't read the entire thread but..

the responsibility lies entirely with the driver in this case. She wouldn't have hit him if she had been paying attention, so she is entirely at fault.

The issue of the RLJing is irrelevant.
Why is the RLJ irrelevant?
How much attention can you pay to your driving and still avoid hitting someone who decides to jump a red? A collision may still have been inevitable due to driver reaction times etc.

iacula

We all do silly things on the road or otherwise, sometimes it has tragic consequences for the people involved, but most of the time we get away with it. I feel sorry for all concerned, but rightly enough the courts have to send a "signal" as a warning to us all.

andygates

If drivers travel more slowly (at least LEGALLY slowly) the consesquences of everybody's screw-ups are less serious. At 45mph the road is a death zone. At 30 it's dangerous. At 20, it's just bouncy.

I quite like the idea of the streets in my town not being killing fields. So, urban 20 limit for the win.

killiekosmos

Veteran
andygates said:
If drivers travel more slowly (at least LEGALLY slowly) the consesquences of everybody's screw-ups are less serious. At 45mph the road is a death zone. At 30 it's dangerous. At 20, it's just bouncy.

I quite like the idea of the streets in my town not being killing fields. So, urban 20 limit for the win.

20mph blanket limit in town would be good. Little impact (sorry) on car journey times and a lot safer for cyclists, pedestrians and children - greener too.

yello

She told Southampton Crown Court that she had received three fixed penalty tickets for speeding � two of the offences were committed on a road leading to the junction.

It doesn't sound to me that she's capable of learning a lesson. Her licence should have been taken from her for life.

Trillian

a life time ban does seem very harsh in a society that is so reliant on the car

a five year ban that comes into play once leaving prison followed by an enforced taking of the driving test (which is probably now harder than when she first got her license) would be fair I think

if anyone has driven badly enough to get disqualified from driving they should have to pass the test to get their license to show they are competent and 'safe'

if i fail a module at uni, i have to re take it to get onto the next year of the course, its the same thing really

snorri

Legendary Member
Trillian said:
if i fail a module at uni, i have to re take it to get onto the next year of the course, its the same thing really
You're right, anyone failing a module at uni should have to do a prison term, they have wasted their tutors time, and probably spent too much on beer, so why not?

Kirst

Trillian said:
a life time ban does seem very harsh in a society that is so reliant on the car
I passed my driving test in 1988, have never owned a car, and haven't driven one since about 2000. I manage perfectly well without one.

A lifetime ban for this woman wouldn't be about punishing her - it would be about protecting the rest of us from someone who wilfully speeds whilst texting.

yenrod

There are a lot of people in this society who are simply living it for the interests of themselves or people close to them.

This is what happens when karma brings the wider world into their life ! re: jail sentence for a mobile incident.

yenrod

John Ponting said:
I agree with 99% of your post - you just have the 3 factors in the wrong order. It should be 3, 2, 1

If the rider had stopped at the red light (as required by the same laws that apply to the motorist) there would have been no collision.

If the motorist had been going considerably slower (as recomended when approaching lights that clould chage) the damage may have been injury not death.

Had the motorist been looking and considering all entries and exits at the lights they may well have stopped in good time.

A tragic example of the "assume all other road users are imbeciles" rules.

What hurts more getting hit by a car or a bike - I know what id rather get hit by - Jon Ponting your a disgrace to cycling / cyclists !

OK the cyclist WAS wrong in going thru the red BUT whos paying now...

And if anyone thinks i mean the driver :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
yep, cars most def do not have the right to barrel along roads wo no need to be able to stop in case something happens

bet that highway code has lots to say about that, never mind the law

Occasionally there is a real justification for a lifetime ban on driving. At some point you have to realise that the individual through arrogance, stupidity or is incapability is a danger to other road users and a ban is appropriate...

This guy was legaly driving at the time he killed a pensioner yet had 65 previous convictions.... if only he had been banned from driving for a lifetime after conviction 10, 20, 30 etc

Top Bottom