Wilson Still Here - anyone have a Kagan Coat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mary Wilson is 100 today.
Congratulations to her - once mooted as the next 'Poet Laureate'.
'Kagan Coats' could be the name of a modern-day entrepreneur, but back then it was the chosen garb of Harold Wilson, Mary's husband, who led the country with his pipe and coat to the fore. My Dad had his 'Gannex' for special occasions and perhaps he felt Prime Ministerial at the time? He was an Embassy man though, not a pipe smoker...he didn't like poetry much.
But back to Baroness Wilson of Rievaulx...Happy Birthday.

After the Bomb

After the Bomb had fallen,
After the last sad cry
When the Earth was a burnt-out cinder
Drifting across the sky...

These days,a 'Prime Minister's wife' is more to the fore...maybe she could have made it instead of John Betjeman!

I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat. Harold Wilson.
300E3A2600000578-0-image-a-61_1452560694663.jpg

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I never owned a Gannex mac but some very important people did including Mao, Khrushchev...... and the royal corgis.

Has she outlasted Lady Forkbender?
Marcia is still going strong, but a baby in comparison - or 'babe' depending if Harold is watching. 'Forkbender' reminds me of another favourite, Lady Magnesia Freelove...(Frank Pakenham's daughter. He was the chap who wanted parole for Myra Hindley etc and got beaten up by Oswald Moseley's posse in his time) Magnesia was another wordy dame and ended up at the bar of life with a Pinter best.

Tim Hall

Mary Wilson went to school about a quarter of a mile from where I'm sitting right now. That's all.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Mary Wilson went to school about a quarter of a mile from where I'm sitting right now. That's all.
I have sung with Mary and Harold Wilson's son, daughter-in-law and grand-daughters. Various of my friends at university were taught by the son.

[elderly judge]
Diana who?
[/elderly judge]
Not so much Ross on Wye as Why? on Ross...
Apart from his Gannex mac, Harold had a wide range of friends. Anybody remember Ronald Milhench?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/november/8/newsid_2539000/2539513.stm

How about the Slagheap Affair....."This is land reclamation, not speculation"....? Fun times.

The perfect politician!
The judge, Mr Justice Crichton, told Milhench he was a "very simple but a dishonest man".

Second verse:
Came Lucifer, Son of the Morning,
With his fallen-angel band,
Silent and swift as a vulture
On a mountain-top to stand.

51Qulk7h47L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Harold Wilson may well have been clothed,
But not as chic-ley as Mary
So today it's fair to be told
Of something a little more hairy...

Paddington Station bear creator Michael Bond Street is 90 today.
Paddington: Mrs Brown says that in London everyone is different, and that means anyone can fit in. I think she must be right - because although I don't look like anyone else, I really do feel at home. I'll never be like other people, but that's alright, because I'm a bear. A bear called Paddington.
Have you visited Paddington Bear? (Or in a raincoat, at least?)

Top Bottom