Winchester routes please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katherine

Guru
I'll be staying with my parents next week in Oliver's Battery. And I am actually taking my bike!! :bicycle:^_^
Looking for suggestions of road routes 30 to 40 miles please. If anyone wants to go for a ride on Monday or Tuesday morning that would be great. ( my average speed is about 14-16mph ) It's the first time I will have cycled around Winchester since the 80s!

jay clock

Massive member
@Katherine I will be out most likely Monday from Winchester and take a small group at exactly that speed. Poss Sunday too.

ping me a pm with your email address and I will add you to the mailing list

blurb on the email says

NO NEED TO REPLY IF NOT COMING- helpful to know if you do plan to come. Please note that if I need to change the ride for any reason, I will send an email around one hour before scheduled start time. If you have already told me you are coming, I will also text you if you have given me your number.

Pace: Average is 23-24kmh, hilly routes drops this back to about 21-22kmh - on odd occasions it might get to 25-26kmh average with a following wind. That might sound slow, but in a race it is closer to 28-30kmh over 90 or 180km so we must be doing something right. I am aiming for steady rides and specifically training for long distance races.

We don’t plan to go faster or slower than a comfortable easy-to-achieve pace. If you want to go faster than us, feel free to zoom off as long as you don’t mind being on your own. If you cannot keep up with the pace we set, we feel it only fair to point out that you may be better to organise a slower ride.

Print a map out if you have any concerns about being dropped (or think you might want to zoom ahead) but I am confident we can predict the time pretty well.

Remember that the start time is the start time, not the "arriving by car" time!

Finally, don’t forget to come prepared with pump/toolkit/spare tube etc and food and drink. Anyone on my rides must also wear a helmet.

Please note that you are out cycling with me as a friend, and I do not provide any coaching.

Last edited:

kipster

Guru
There are some great lanes to cycle on from Winchester. Heading east to Alresford, then looping south towards some hills before heading back to Winchester is nice, alternatively west out to Stockbridge, north a bit and then heading south back to Winchester takes in some lovely villages. If cake stops are you thing there are great cafes in the area, the long barn at Alresford is very cyclist friendly, as is the Waitrose cafe at Leckford. I don't have routes as I start all my rides in Basingstoke, but the ones in the post above look good.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Bugger. I'm on me hols at the moment and still recovering from some Bollo vs Audi contact in Hursley, otherwise I'd be up for this. Old biddies with questionable driving skills aside, that bit of Hampshire is God's own cycling country, so you'd struggle to go wrong.

You'll be in good company with @jay clock, but he might start talking about triathlons. Just nod and smile. :okay: Personally I just stare at his calves, which are works of art.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
S
Bugger. I'm on me hols at the moment and still recovering from some Bollo vs Audi contact in Hursley, otherwise I'd be up for this. Old biddies with questionable driving skills aside, that bit of Hampshire is God's own cycling country, so you'd struggle to go wrong.

You'll be in good company with @jay clock, but he might start talking about triathlons. Just nod and smile. :okay: Personally I just stare at his calves, which are works of art.

Ha, we have plenty of the tri nutters in the Salford cycling club so I'm getting used to it ^_^
Sorry to miss you, but hope you can enjoy good recuperation on your holiday.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Ha, we have plenty of the tri nutters in the Salford cycling club so I'm getting used to it ^_^
Sorry to miss you, but hope you can enjoy good recuperation on your holiday.
I'll cope.
IMG_0369.JPG

Seriously, J will see you right with a route. Enjoy the lumps and bumps.

Top Bottom