Winchester to London (well Croydon actually) - 28 March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Saturday, 28 March. Leaving Winchester station on the dot of 9.00am, and following a route something like this. Ride ends in Croydon, from where it's an easy ride back to London, or trains to lots of places.

Quiet roads most of the way, although we will have a brief spell on the A25 before the delights of White Down. There'll be a brief stop at Bordon (either the small cafe we used the first time we did this ride, or Tesco if there's a lot of us) and we'll stop at Rykers (the biker cafe) at the bottom of Box Hill instead of the pub at Gomshall (should be quicker service).

The ride won't be at rocket pace, but we will want to keep it rolling so as to avoid the situation last time when we arrived a couple of hours late for lunch. So, suitable for those comfortable at around 14mph average.
There are about three trains leaving Waterloo within 20 minutes of each other that will get to Winchester in good time, or for those of a more adventurous disposition, there's the option of riding down (main roads, leaving HPC at around 2.00am).

Any interest?
Cheers

@Trickedem & @rb58

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Count me in.

Scallywag ride. I remember this when we bombed down from HPC at midnight, to arrive (sodden was it...or gomorrah) in the oven-like nirvana of MacDoDos. We returned to the station to pick up that lovely couple who were training to do their charity ride...she 'rashed' everything later that morning and I got on a train somewhere with Davy Walnuts, (it's ok - my therapist said it is safe to talk about it now) who had been poncing about the Surrey hills and met up with us...
I might do this if it's pacy enough. :santa: :rolleyes:

*Dan and...her name was a posh shampoo. (Don't anyone say Sylvie Krin either thank you)

Trickedem

Guru
And me. You forgot to mention the delightful A34/M3 roundabout. I think you managed to find the underpass last time!
This is a delightful route. Going past watercress beds, Historical Selborne, steam railways, Oakenhanger early warning station, Hankley Common(used in the filming of 3 Bond movies) and much more. There's also a few hills, including the iconic Box Hill.

Chanelle Weller! Told you it is posh.
It was this sort of ride:
winchester-004-jpg2-jpg.11976.jpg

Pretty hard going by all accounts on that 2012 thread. I just kept wincing at Chanelle's arm. August's steamy sun.

And me. You forgot to mention the delightful A34/M3 roundabout. I think you managed to find the underpass last time!
This is a delightful route. Going past watercress beds, Historical Selborne, steam railways, Oakenhanger early warning station, Hankley Common(used in the filming of 3 Bond movies) and much more. There's also a few hills, including the iconic Box Hill.
PPete unlocked that one didn't he?

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Scallywag ride. I remember this when we bombed down from HPC at midnight, to arrive (sodden was it...or gomorrah) in the oven-like nirvana of MacDoDos. We returned to the station to pick up that lovely couple who were training to do their charity ride...she 'rashed' everything later that morning and I got on a train somewhere with Davy Walnuts, (it's ok - my therapist said it is safe to talk about it now) who had been poncing about the Surrey hills and met up with us...

*Dan and...her name was a posh shampoo. (Don't anyone say Sylvie Krin either thank you)
Ah yes! Dan and Chanelle. I wonder if they made it all the way to Newcastle? I think that morning is the longest I've ever sat in a McDonalds. From memory we were there for hours and still didn't manage to dry out before the ride proper. It was a ride of attrition - by the time we got to the top of Boxhill there was only three of us left (me, @Eddie_C and another Dan). Then when I got to Croydon, I was alone. I shall try not to lose so many riders this time round. Be good to have you along Teef!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Mark one was fun- apart from Whitedown.
Isn't there going to be a night ride to Brighton rather earlier that morning though.....?

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars

Remember it well…

Count me in, please if I can work the logistics of Winch. at 9:00.

Top Bottom