Winchester to London 100mile Ride 2nd July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

No problem with my 705 either.

Nor with my printer.

Two sheets of A4 printed both sides.

OP
OP
D

deckertim

Hopefully final numbers now. Sorry we had a few drop outs. But the on the upside, we now have an optimal grouping for our Groupsave ticket!!
Weather forecast is good. Metcheck is showing sun and possibly a shower, with very light easterly winds.
I am due in to Waterloo East at 7.09. So see you by the clock at 7.15ish

Meeting at London

Groupsave

Deckertim
Ianrauk
RB58
Alberto (railcard)

Own Tickets
User10571
139NI

We will aim to get the 7.35 train, arriving 8.37. Following Stuaff's suggestion we will meet at the main entrance (Swan Lane).

Joining at Winchester.
StuAff
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well I got home at 2pm, having given my all, which turned out to be not very much, but heyho, heading in the right direction. So, met them all at Winchester Station, new faces to me:-

Tim - gentleman and organised a very nice route
Alberto - fit looking(potential lady killer) Spaniard living in London, looked like he could have cycled a lot faster
Will - another disgustingly fit looking person making a mockery of my struggles by using a MTB to leave me behind :biggrin:
Ross - what a gent, hung out at the back to keep me on route and keep me going, also never resorted to telling the 'fat bastard' to hurry up, which was nice

Old faces:-

Stu - arrive in Winchester on 'StuTime', wearing a Fridays jersey on a Saturday, good to see you sir
User10571 - he was really struggling on the ride but hid it well, managed to make it look like it was a stroll and there were no hills, but I know he was hurting on the inside(please)
Ian - nice enough to share the rear end marshalling of the fat bloke with Ross, almost enough to make me love him....almost...good to see you again man!

The ride, or my little bit of it, great route, great weather and stunning views, when the sweat cleared my eyes. I decided early on I'd be bailing to head home at the first cafe stop. Unfortunately I was too far behind, too often, to be able to communicate this to Tim. Thankfully finally managed it without him having to be embarrassed into dropping a hint or two. So we reached Bordon, and cafe, at a fair old clip, then I checked my computer, 12.5mph average...oh dear :blush:

I kindly waved the guys off as I sat down to a chocolate milk, pepsi and a BLT baguette. Feeling a bit refreshed I headed homewards via A325 to Farnham(not a fun road), took on the silly climb out of Farnham to the A287(didn't expire though it was touch and go), so that I could get the nicest of the options home via Church Crookham. Clocked up 48 miles overall, kept the massive 12.5mph average, got a better idea now of where I'm at and where I need to get to.

Thanks very much Tim, well done on the route and keeping it all together....Al

U

User10571

What a stormin' ride that was!

First and foremost: Thank you, Tim!

The day started a little oddly - we met as planned at Waterloo, I boarded the train with my bike, cup of tea and salt beef bagel. And whilst the others sorted out their tix and bits and bobs, the remaining bike spaces became occupied by others resulting in me having a solo journey to Winchester where I met Al with his rather lovely Burls, and the rest of the group caught up on the following train.

Five or six miles were covered before we were passed by a car, and thereafter we saw very few. The route followed the valley of the River Itchen, and was very picturesque with a fair bit of mild up and down to make it *ahem* interesting.

Things I saw:
Loads and loads of watercress beds - clearly a big part of local industry / farming.
Loads and loads of old locos (one in steam) and one wearing a Thomas the Tank Engine facade.
Just after Selbourne the Geodesic domes of Oakhanger early warning outfit hove into view, appearing like random sized golf balls scattered across the landscape.
Oh, and some utterly fabulous and varied roads - from the arrow straight, to the sweeping bends on descent - magic, magic riding.

Coffee stop worked well at around 25 miles in. Ham and cheese toastie did it for me, served up by two small (but rotund) boys who had clearly taken twice daily advantage that their father operated a kebab and chips emporium.

Lunch stop was equally good - nice pub surprisingly quiet given how good the weather was.

Shortly thereafter we climbed up to Ranmore Common. I confess to being somewhat bemused at the string of invective which issued from those for whom it was a first trip up Whitedown Lane - it does go on, and up, somewhat.
It is a Fkcr of an climb.

Zig-zag road up Box Hill was a doddle after that.
To our shame, amongst the cluster of cyclists atop the hill there was a young lady who had just ridden up zig-zag on a clunker of a fixie, sporting a chain which sagged like a saggy thing.

The ride errrr.... parted after that with me nicking well...... everybody except Tim - who headed off south again only to have to do some more grimping up the North Downs.

For us it was a speedy descent from Box Hill via Kingswood, Outwood, Chipstead Valley and Coulsden, going our separate ways once we had reached the joy that is Croydon.

A fine days riding in excellent company - thanks guys!

I think my knees may be having a few words with me tomorrow.

J

Alberto

Once again thank you Tim for organising the ride. I really had a fantastic time. The ride itself was one of the finest I've done in the UK!

Many thanks to all the others for the company. I am sure I will see some of you at the Dunwich Dynamo or the night rides. And Al (I am also Al by the way), you made my day with all those compliments, none of them true obviously ;)

PS: owe an apology to Stu and Will. Sorry guys I did not say goodbye at that roundabout, got completely confused with that intersection and just carried on with the traffic towards Waterloo bridge. It was nice to have company and directions in all those crowded roads of south London.

rb58

Enigma
Well, I can't add much to Al and User10571's write up. That was a fabulous ride and all credit goes to Tim for creating such a great route. Thanks Tim!

I too was humbled chasing the girl on the fixie up Box Hill. Chapeau!

Beautiful countryside, friendly people and even the car drivers seemed to be in their best behaviour - until we got closer to London.

It was great to meet some new fces - Al, Will and Alberto (Al from now on). I shall be looking out for you on future rides.

I tihnk my ankles may be having a word with your knees tomorrow User10571!

107 miles for me - or 170km. And BTW all cycling distances should be measured in kilometers. It's the rules.

Cheers

Ross

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What an absolute cracker.
First, an explanation. I took all the right roads from Pompey to Winchester. Unfortunately, I didn't take them in the right order! I will blame the Garmin- and me forgetting the first rule of using it (i.e. if it tells you to go the wrong way, ignore it!). The first part of the turn by turn directions were bang on, but then I went straight on when I should have turned right (no turn indicated) and ended up going five miles before I thought 'Uh oh...'. Once it got back on route, the turn by turn started working OK again, until I got to a T junction where the way to go was unclear, and I ended up ignoring the directions and working out the rest of the way myself (correctly, I hasten to add). Hence my tardy arrival. The annoying thing was that my turn of speed (average- not rolling, total- was 15mph most of the way) would have left me plenty of time before the trains got in. Extra miles though, no bad thing..ended up doing 35.24 miles, overall average 14mph, moving average 14.7, 1767ft of climbing.
And the ride into the smoke was splendid. Great idea Tim, and well organised!
Lovely to see Al back on a bike instead of talking about it. And a lovely bit of kit it is too. You weren't holding us up that much, and frankly on a day like that, no-one should care. Some of my LeJOG 'team' would have...their loss (they have more to learn from us than we from them..). Pleasure to meet and ride with you Alberto (Al the Second!), and no apology necessary. Some of those junctions are insane enough at the best of times. And of course, ride leader Tim, User10571, Ross, Ian, and Will...as always, a pleasure to ride with you gentlemen. Will did a most excellent job negotiating South London (I'd have been fine once we got to Streatham/Brixton, I've been down there on a bike from Waterloo before, but having a mini-peloton is always good).
The Compasses did a fine job again- perhaps THE spot for Olympic road race day, at least for refreshments!
Oh yes, Whitedown. I was too knackered to emit any invective, I was certainly thinking it...I wasn't doing too badly, trudging away OK in 34x27 & breathing heavily but not excessively, but I saw that last ramp, and didn't think I'd have enough in the tank to get up that, so decided to bail rather than risk grinding to a halt and falling over. The Beacon, let alone Box Hill, is a pussycat in comparison...
Thanks one and all for a most excellent day. Total mileage, including the couple of miles home from Fratton station, 126.37. I only do km when it's an audax ;)

OP
OP
D

deckertim

Well this was a great ride, if I say so myself:smile: The weather was good. The car drivers were well behaved. The company was great.
Getting past the M3 was challenging, as we ended up going round a motorway speed roundabout! We made it in the end. I blame the DOT as they have probably removed the signs to discourage use...Further discussion here Chat discussion

However, once past the M3 we were in cycling heaven. Rolling countryside, woods, clear streams, watercress, Thomas the Tank engine.
The ride through Bordon was a trip down memory lane for me. I spent many a weekend there in the 90's when I was serving in the TA. The Greco Grill was a perfectly placed stop. The Pine and fern smell around Hankley Common also bought back some mixed memories having spent around 2 weeks of my live living in a trench and traipsing around the area, playing at being in the Infantry. The Compasses was a welcome lunch stop. Great service and good food. Not sure I should have had a Burger and Chips before going up White Down Hill onto Ranmore Common.

After Box Hill the peloton peeled off Northwards to head to London. I went downhill then decided on a change of route, keeping to the A25, which I found had a good cycle path most of the way to Westerham. After bonking (food deprivation type) at about 85 miles I decided to call it a day once I got to 100 miles, so finished at Borough Green, where my wife kindly picked me up.

Quite a hilly route. I did 7,300 feet of climbing in 101 miles. I also broke my speed record with 44.1 mph coming down from Ranmore Common.

I look forward to seeing some of you on the Dynamo.
Regards
Tim
IMG_0811.JPG

Photo Album

139NI

DT

Thanks for organising the ride. One of the best if not the fastest rides ever i think.

Fantastic company, super route - not too long not too short, good pre-dunwich prep.

Hopr to see some of you on the DD

Ride safely all

w

Top Bottom