England : Hampshire Winchester to Salisbury and back - Cancelled :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
After over 10 years on the forum I though it was about time I did a ride so......

The Ride

9am-ish start from Winchester Station. I'm looking at a sausage-shaped route that follows the ridge of chalk downland between Winchester and Salisbury, with a return following the flatter Old Canal/River Dun through to Mottisfont and back to Winchester. It'll be around 100+km all in.

Usual T&Cs - no-one left behind, recced route, half-way stop etc. It's all on-road and, barring the occasional pothole and gravel-patch, perfectly rideable on the roadiest of road bikes. The half-way stop will probably depend on numbers, but I'm looking at a few coffee-and-cake type establishments. Not Zizzi's. Dates and times are flexible, but I'd look to a minimum of 5 or 6 to make the organisation worthwhile.

The Sell

It's a lovely and varied route that takes in choccy-box villages, chalk streams, downland, woodland, two cathedrals, one horse grave and, barring the tricksy run-in to Salisbury, traffic-free or traffic-light roads. I've ridden variations of this for years and it never gets boring.

...but...

Salisbury has been in the news. Local businesses have certainly taken a hit from a drop in visitor numbers, which is understandable. I suspect all the locals want is to get back to normal, and what says normal more than a gang of stinky cyclists turning up at your cafe and wrecking your floor with their cleats. Besides which, I've heard Novichok makes excellent chain lube.

More seriously, this is a lumpy route. Apart from a flat 10-mile stretch that follows the water, you'll either be going down or up something. There are no monsters but plenty of drags and short-and-sharps. The final couple of kms back into Winchester are not a friend to the weary.

Travel

Winchester is on the main South Western Trains route from that Waterloo down to Soton, Bournemouth and Weymouth or Portsmouth.

Winchester also has direct connections from Reading, Oxford, Brum, Manc and, if you're desperate for sun, Newcastle. This route is courtesy of X-Country trains, but bikes may require booking and the service is, to quote season-ticket holder Mrs Dr Bollo, f***ing shite.

The core of the ride tracks the Southampton-Cardiff line that sees an occasional stopping service, although the best bailout would be half-way at Salisbury.

gbs

Guru
This is a good initiative. The route looks interesting and would build on my my limited cycling knowledge of Hampshire. I will endeavour to keeep the date open.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This is a good initiative. The route looks interesting and would build on my my limited cycling knowledge of Hampshire. I will endeavour to keeep the date open.
We have a volunteer! Thanks @gbs.

I can understand a certain reticence because the ride isn't a London start or finish and Salisbury might not appeal to everyone given present circumstances. While the city has slipped slightly from the news, the local economy has taken a real hit and deserves a bit of support.

Dates and times are still flexible, but I'll try to recce either late this week or early next and provide a few pictures to tempt the wavering.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interested. One of my regular 100-miler destinations, so not unfamiliar territory, but your route might be!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks for the support and sorry you can't make it @Katherine and @User13710.

@StuAff - it'd be good to see you there.

I'm going to try and recce it tomorrow, grab some promo shots and to sort the way in and out of Salisbury.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
3F3AE126-6C12-4BB8-8551-00C4896BE4AD.jpeg
Recceing now. Beautiful morning and a decent half way coffee (not from here!)

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
It's always worth doing a recce! The ride as planned is shorter than I'd estimated but with a bit more climbing. If we follow the route I took today it's just over 90km with about 1050m of climbing (56miles and approx 3450ft in Brexit money).

There was short detour around a closed bridge on the return leg which I'm happy to use again if it's still closed.

The real and not entirely unexpected issue is the approach to Salisbury. Today's attempt was high on interest but also required couple of miles on faster B-roads with some inclines, so they were more grit-your-teeth than social.

The route also uses the public road that passes through Porton Down, which is fascinating but also has a drag climb, is exposed and will almost certainly treat us to a headwind. The speed limit is 50mph and by god do the drivers behave! The road has no real verges, probably to discourage stopping, so a visit from the fairy here would be trickier to fix. I wouldn't recommend hopping over the fence for a pee. The payoff is a great view of the site at the crest of the hill and the slightly surreal landscape.

The route also circles around the site of the iron-age hill fort at Old Sarum, which is worth the effort.

The approach can be simplified, although the B-road stretch not entirely eliminated, but this would mean missing out on 'the sights'. I'm happy to call it on the day based on people's preferences.

OK, that's your lot. Go on, you know you want to.

GPX/TCX to follow when I can be harsed.

rb58

Enigma
I'd have been up for this, but I'm out the night before which would preclude an early start to get to Winchester. If you run it again, or the date changes, I'll be interested.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's always worth doing a recce! The ride as planned is shorter than I'd estimated but with a bit more climbing. If we follow the route I took today it's just over 90km with about 1050m of climbing (56miles and approx 3450ft in Brexit money).

There was short detour around a closed bridge on the return leg which I'm happy to use again if it's still closed.

The real and not entirely unexpected issue is the approach to Salisbury. Today's attempt was high on interest but also required couple of miles on faster B-roads with some inclines, so they were more grit-your-teeth than social.

The route also uses the public road that passes through Porton Down, which is fascinating but also has a drag climb, is exposed and will almost certainly treat us to a headwind. The speed limit is 50mph and by god do the drivers behave! The road has no real verges, probably to discourage stopping, so a visit from the fairy here would be trickier to fix. I wouldn't recommend hopping over the fence for a pee. The payoff is a great view of the site at the crest of the hill and the slightly surreal landscape.

The route also circles around the site of the iron-age hill fort at Old Sarum, which is worth the effort.

The approach can be simplified, although the B-road stretch not entirely eliminated, but this would mean missing out on 'the sights'. I'm happy to call it on the day based on people's preferences.

OK, that's your lot. Go on, you know you want to.

GPX/TCX to follow when I can be harsed.
Yup, the approach to Salisbury is nasty...never found a way in that's simple, easy and on quiet roads. Because there isn't one!

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mr Bollo, what time are you looking at for the return to Winchester?
I've no fixed return time so it would depend on the pace of the group. Taking a rough bead from the pace of @StuAff's IoW ride as the terrain is similar, I think each leg is doable in under three hours (I did Salisbury->Winch in about 1:35hr, but this isn't realistic for a social group), so allowing for an hour or so for lunch a 9am start should get us back around 4pm.

I'm also happy to shift start times either later or earlier to help people's plans, although I'll stick with the date unless there's much more interest in moving it (@rb58 - does a later start help you?).

Top Bottom