Wind direction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hey

Need some advice...and I do recall some frank exchanges in other posts about this subject so I'm happy for debate. :tongue:

This summer's trip is basically from Toulouse to Salzburg, so east across the south of france, north to Geneva, east across Switzerland and Austria. An experienced tourer has just warned me of headwinds, specifically heading north up to Geneva. Am I going to be facing headwinds the entire time? Would it be better to reverse the trip? I REALLY want to finish in Salzburg but don't want to be fighting a head wind the entire way!!

redfox

North up the Rhone Valley can be really tough if the Mistral is blowing (and it often is in my experience). One of the most frustrating days I have ever had on a bike was in that direction.

My advice would be avoid if at all possible, but maybe others have more positive comments.

xilios

Veteran
The mistral comes mostly in the winter and spring time here is another link that explains it some more. We experianced it as a tail wind in the spring of 2006 for a while but than had to turn heading west and it was blowing us all over the road. I would not want to cycle against it.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
In the mountains the winds tend to be localised and in summer very light, so it really depends on how lucky/unlucky you are.

Tailwinds are great:biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think you're worrying unnecessarily, Cathryn. You'd be very unlucky to have strong headwinds out of the normal .

Tony

Cathryn, treat a headwind as another form of hill. Settle down, drop a gear and just grind it out.

charlessandilands

Cathryn

I thought of you yesterday. I'd just read your post about headwinds and had taken the train with my bike to York to ride back to my home town of Knaresborough. There was a headwind for nearly all of the 22 miles! but otherwise it was a brilliant ride on a beautiful day.

Incidentally, I'm fairly new to this site and I remember seeing a post from you about you breaking your leg. Are you (hopefully) fully recovered now?

Charles

Top Bottom