Wind-up lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bonjour Know How folks!
Wind-up lights... any good for night-time commuting along country lanes with no "city glow" or street lights? (and not much traffic). Looking to keep commuting through the winter, route takes me along such roads.... I like the idea of wind-ups... just wondering if there are any decent ones which might do the trick....
Cheers :laugh:

RedBike

Someone brought us a wind-up torch for Christmas. It's terrible!

Assuming most wind-up cycle lights are the same (which is highly likely) I wouldn't use one on street-lit town roads nevermind unlit country roads.

It's perhaps worth looking at a good dynamo light. You wont notice any resistance.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thanks redbike... reason i was thinking along those lines is in the winter, I walk the dog in the woods in the dark, and my wind up torch is brill! However, I'm obviously going more slowly (!) and I'm unlikely to hit a pothole at speed (:laugh:)... however, seen some wind-ups for sale, and being a stingy git, i like the idea of not using batteries (even rechargeables, cos if i forget to recharge them, i'm banjaxed for the way home... anyhoo, I'll think on! Cheers.

Tynan

Veteran
battery lights are so bloody cheap these days, for more money you get excellent lights

if you want a dynamo have mine, spent far too much on a bottle dynamo that I was assured I wouldn't notice, I bloody well do

ejls2

You can get magnetic lights which bolt onto your axels:

http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/home/

I borrowed a pair from a friend the other day and have now ordered some. They're not quite in the same league as my normal lights but as a good backup you can leave attached to your bike if you ever leave it outside they're brilliant!

RedBike

You can get magnetic lights which bolt onto your axels:

http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/home/

For unlit country roads?

Most of the lower end battery lights are woefully inadequate to use in areas where there's no street lights.

I would get the best battery powered rear light you can afford (or even better two of them) and look at the higher powered led / rechargeable halogens.

If you really don't want to use batteries then the better quality dynamo lights might be worth a look (google sjs).

Top Bottom