Windcheetah and a few questions about recumbents in general.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ganymede

Veteran
Woo-Hoo. One of us, one of us.

How long before you stop grinning from riding a trike? I ask because I've been riding/grinning for 4 years now.;)
I rode 6 miles on my bent today and was grinning most of the way. It really is such fun, and a bit bonkers...

Ganymede

Veteran
I took mine out for a quick 4 miles in the dark just to see what it's like, it was OK
Numbnuts, what a cute avatar you have now!

My 'bent has dynamo lights and it's quite nice in the dark - the front light is rather low to the ground so it lights the road nicely but doesn't point a long way ahead. Which is fine by me as I don't hare along!

OP
OP
Pumpkin the robot
I am wondering if I need to move the seat forward a little. I have had to slow my cadence down as if I spin like I do on a bike, it moves the recumbent all over the road.

I am wondering if I need to move the seat forward a little. I have had to slow my cadence down as if I spin like I do on a bike, it moves the recumbent all over the road.

bum bounce is the main problem with a high cadence as the body moves and this is transmitted into the steering , once you can establish that this is the cause you can adjust to counteract it , I can get about 120 rpm without it happening but it has taken a while to adjust my position and reduce " bum bounce "

I could have said my ride was enlighten

or Brilliant maybe :sun::becool::sun:
.............................. U ..... U ..... U...............................

regards emma

byegad

Legendary Member
That will settle down when you learn to relax from the hips upwards. What you have encountered is called pedal steer but really has the cause of too tense steering.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That will settle down when you learn to relax from the hips upwards. What you have encountered is called pedal steer but really has the cause of too tense steering.
When I went out for my first ride I was gripping the bars really tightly and I was all over the show I think it was out fear, but when I started to relax and loosen my grip it all became fine.

You can steer a bent trike no handed.
BUT ...........
If you lean left, the trike will go right and vice versa.
So if you're rocking a little due to at a high cadence, your CoG moves and the trike snakes.
It's the main reason I don't like going over 100 rpm at speed.

I like Neck rests on long rides, but they have issues if you use them when riding, the balance changes enough to introduce pedal steer

byegad

Legendary Member
Still here at 9years of recumbent riding, 2 on a bike and the rest on three wheels, thegrin got wider when I got the first trike!

Top Bottom