Windows 10 Updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How come you can have fast download speeds, but Windows updates take ages

Last night this laptop was updating since 20:11, & was still only on 53%, at time of photo (circa 21:10)

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214727091963204&set=a.1942916784887.2108883.1601508436&type=3&theater

Why??

Also
Now, the 'Favourites' window covers almost 1/2 the screen, whereas before the update it barely covered a 1/4
Can it be returned to original size

DSCF5235.JPG

Yours. a techno-luddite

U

User6179

How come you can have fast download speeds, but Windows updates take ages

Last night this laptop was updating since 20:11, & was still only on 53%, at time of photo (circa 21:10)

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214727091963204&set=a.1942916784887.2108883.1601508436&type=3&theater

Why??

Also
Now, the 'Favourites' window covers almost 1/2 the screen, whereas before the update it barely covered a 1/4
Can it be returned to original size

View attachment 412540

Yours. a techno-luddite

Use the curser to drag it back to size.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I got the same update about 10 days ago and it also took an age for me. I think the issue is not your download speed but more to do with the Microsoft queue system. They have to manage updating millions and millions of users (hence the staggered rollout dates) and I am guessing it takes so long to actually install due to bandwidth limits at their end and probably quite an intensive and intrusive system interrogation they carry out as part of the update.

I also have the wider favourites bar!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just noticed you are using Edge, checked Edge on my PC and it is the same, were you using edge before the update?
I have also been 'forced' onto edge!
Did notice but couldn't be bothered manually swapping bag to explorer as i have done at previous upgrades. I might do so get it edge starts misbehaving (I seem to think edge clashed with flash in the past, hence sticking with explorer which didn't?).

Last edited:
U

User6179

I have also been 'force's onto edge!
Did notice but couldn't be bothered manually swapping bag to explorer as i have done at previous upgrades. I might do so get it edge starts misbehaving (I seem to think edge clashed with flash in the past, hence sticking with explorer which didn't?).

When I first started using edge it would keep resetting all the settings so I gave up with it.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oh, in that case then I think that I will plug my Win 10 machine in to its charger and set it updating while I go out on my bike!
No use Colin. They update you when your allotted time comes up. It WILL happen at the least convenient time possible!

U

User6179

One thing I noticed with the new update is it turns on the built in Wifi on my pc, I turn it off then it comes back on, after some googling I managed to disable Wifi completely.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No use Colin. They update you when your allotted time comes up. It WILL happen at the least convenient time possible!
I have backup laptop technology! :okay:

The new Lenovo Win 10 machine is superior to my 10 year old Dell in every way except for the keyboard and trackpad, so for light use (such as accessing CycleChat) I still use the Dell.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I didn't know do many still used a laptop/desktop PC. Much easier to use a tablet or phone for browsing.
Desktops are faster, more reliable and easier to use than any of the portables. I have a laptop for backing up my accounts which is only switched on when I remember it every few months, and browsing on a phone is a slow pain in the arse.

Last edited:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
It *is* possible to retain some control of updates, by setting your internet connection to "metered" to reduce automatic downloads, and then setting "Active hours" to limit when the downloads are installed.

https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

https://www.howtogeek.com/264325/how-to-set-active-hours-so-windows-10-wont-restart-at-a-bad-time/

Top Bottom