Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Due to my mis-ticking a reminder box the other day, my PC's updated to 10

I don't think I like it, but presumably, can't delete it/revert back to '7'

However.........

The 'preview' bubble, when I rest the cursar on a topic has disappeared
Is this something to do with the '10', or is there a tick-box/'clicky' that I can amend to return the function

Thanks

Nibor

Bewildered
The computer will have created a folder with your windows 7 install backed up in it and it shouldn't be too hard to revert if you want to

If you’ve upgraded a PC to Windows 10 — not performed a clean install, but an upgrade — you’ll have an easy option that lets you revert to the last version of Windows. To access this, open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go back to Windows 8.1” option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome to the club. I am in the same boat and have googled extensively to try and restore the 'hover' function but to no avail. Other 10 features are also a bit poor, like the photo editing stuff. Not a patch on the win 7 software and not possible to resize an image to make it comply with email or avatar limits. Really a bit crap actually. It might look bang upto date with all the App ball-ox but it does seem a bit of a backward step in reality :sad:

Oh, and Edge is crap too. I have reverted to Internet Explorer because the Edge software doesn't support flash player and has other issues too.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Other 10 features are also a bit poor, like the photo editing stuff. Not a patch on the win 7 software and not possible to resize an image to make it comply with email or avatar limits.
Photo Gallery with its editing and resizing tools is still there in window 10.

sidevalve

Über Member
Still waiting to be told EXACTLY what is SOOOO much better than windows XP. A pretty stable base OS that allowed the instalation of any programme you needed took up far less disc space and basically did as it was told not as it wanted. I ask only this how many times have you heard the phrase ' Oh I'm so glad I've got windows 7 - 8 - 10 because now I can do xxxxxxxx that I couldn't do on XP' ? If never then why the upgrade ?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Windows XP is no longer supported or patched by Microsoft, and has a number of security vulnerabilities that could be exploited.
It also cannot use more than 4GB of RAM nor can it make use of 64-bit processors. (unless you've shelled out for Professional 64-bit)
Windows 7 is a massive improvement over XP: the taskbar is a much more useful and usable (jump lists!); backups are way easier to set up; device management is much improved.

I'm not convinced W10 is much better than W7 though.

Still waiting to be told EXACTLY what is SOOOO much better than windows XP. A pretty stable base OS that allowed the instalation of any programme you needed took up far less disc space and basically did as it was told not as it wanted. I ask only this how many times have you heard the phrase ' Oh I'm so glad I've got windows 7 - 8 - 10 because now I can do xxxxxxxx that I couldn't do on XP' ? If never then why the upgrade ?
Xp is excellent and wish I could still use. But no longer supported so security vulnerabilities are no longer being patched which is a security concern.

sidevalve

Über Member
Xp is excellent and wish I could still use. But no longer supported so security vulnerabilities are no longer being patched which is a security concern.
Not true - windows security was iffy at best [every hacker and cyber criminal in the world focused - and still does focus on windows. Most of them cut their teeth on breaking it] and you had always to rely on a decent anti virus program. Most of these [including the free ones such as Avast] still cover XP. To trust to windows security was optimistic at best.
So I still say what, other than providing a job for the software engineers at microsoft is the big advantage of 7 - 8 - 10 ?
Is there anybody out there who can say hand on heart "I'm glad I've got W10 [etc] because my computer runs better and / or I can do xxxxx much easier now ? Really ?
I've asked lot's of people [from geeks to average joe's] and I just aint found one yet.

Shaun

Founder
@Richard A Thackeray - it should work okay in Windows 10. I've tried it in Firefox, Edge, IE, and Chrome and it works as expected.

It may be worth refreshing your browser cache and re-downloading the CC files that control the hover preview action. Try CTRL + F5 to do a forced download from the thread view, and if that doesn't work try manually clearing your browser file cache and closing/opening your browser and visiting CC again.

If none of that works, let me know.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not true - windows security was iffy at best [every hacker and cyber criminal in the world focused - and still does focus on windows. Most of them cut their teeth on breaking it] and you had always to rely on a decent anti virus program. Most of these [including the free ones such as Avast] still cover XP. To trust to windows security was optimistic at best.
So I still say what, other than providing a job for the software engineers at microsoft is the big advantage of 7 - 8 - 10 ?
Is there anybody out there who can say hand on heart "I'm glad I've got W10 [etc] because my computer runs better and / or I can do xxxxx much easier now ? Really ?
I've asked lot's of people [from geeks to average joe's] and I just aint found one yet.

If you think the only security vulnerabilities you need to worry about are viruses, then you're flat wrong.
XP has gaping holes that can be exploited by a hacker, and viruses (and therefore antivirus software) just doesn't come into it.

As per my post upthread: XP cannot make use of 64-bit architecture and therefore has limited maximum RAM. Also jump lists and device management are just 2 features that make W7/10 better than XP. W8 was crap though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Oh, and if you have more than 4GB of RAM, you need the 64bit version of Win7 - 10.

Win 7 to 10 boot far faster than XP.

Well you don't need the 64-bit version (a 32-bit version will run on systems with more than 4GB RAM), but a 32-bit OS can only access a maximum of 4GB of RAM

Top Bottom