Windows 10

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is all getting a bit geeky for me. As a 'normal' dumb user please can anyone explain why, when I used to hover over my cyclechat inbox a dropdown list of messages would appear. When I upgraded to W10 this no longer happened but a click would get the same dropdown and another click would take me to my inbox page. Yesterday, after I had told the world about this problem, the hover function miraculously started working again. Today it isn't.

So how are features that work sometimes and not others depending on how they feel, work for some users and not others, and despite doing some digging in the depths of the menus, options and settings, have no obvious means of switching them on or off, in anyway an improvement over the previous OS (in this case W7)?

@Richard A Thackeray - it should work okay in Windows 10. I've tried it in Firefox, Edge, IE, and Chrome and it works as expected.

It may be worth refreshing your browser cache and re-downloading the CC files that control the hover preview action. Try CTRL + F5 to do a forced download from the thread view, and if that doesn't work try manually clearing your browser file cache and closing/opening your browser and visiting CC again.

If none of that works, let me know.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

"Whoosh!!!!!!!!!!"

That was all the computer jargon passing at high velocity over my head
I'll ask my daughter, to interpretate

Thankyou anyway

Shaun

Founder
This is all getting a bit geeky for me. As a 'normal' dumb user please can anyone explain why, when I used to hover over my cyclechat inbox a dropdown list of messages would appear. When I upgraded to W10 this no longer happened but a click would get the same dropdown and another click would take me to my inbox page. Yesterday, after I had told the world about this problem, the hover function miraculously started working again. Today it isn't.

So how are features that work sometimes and not others depending on how they feel, work for some users and not others, and despite doing some digging in the depths of the menus, options and settings, have no obvious means of switching them on or off, in anyway an improvement over the previous OS (in this case W7)?

It's unlikely, but your device could possibly be working in "Touch" mode; the click simulating a 'tap' on a mobile device (since mobiles cannot do "hover").

You can check by going to Start > Settings > System > Tablet mode

If it's not in tablet mode, let me know what browser you are using?

Cheers,

sidevalve

Über Member
It's unlikely, but your device could possibly be working in "Touch" mode; the click simulating a 'tap' on a mobile device (since mobiles cannot do "hover").

You can check by going to Start > Settings > System > Tablet mode

If it's not in tablet mode, let me know what browser you are using?

Cheers,
Or just the dump the windows 10 scam package and go back to what works - XP

Gone back to Windows 7

PC started playing up last night, & all the screen settings seemed to change (I didn't alter anything); really big windows that needed scrolling to see the right-hand edges

I'd not changed any settings, & altering 'zoom'/magnification/etc... made no difference
Set it back to '7', & everything is how it should be

The 'preview' bubble, when I rest the cursar on a topic has disappeared
Is this something to do with the '10', or is there a tick-box/'clicky' that I can amend to return the function

'Preview' has also returned, with '7' :scratch:

I bought a little W10 laptop yesterday - I quite like W10 in as much as I never really notice differences in operating systems - if they work then my brain just naturally migrates to them.

However, last night setting up the computer with software I ran into a problem with Outlook - same with the built in mail programme - receives mail but does not send - unable to to contact server contact your ISP - try it with the other two internet connections I have - check settings, firewall, ports - about an hour of googling round and round and checking different things - doing my head in - then an an article describing the problem :dance:- a bug in W10 fixed in September 2015- W10 need to be up to build 10560 - The laptop had been very clunky up to this point - more than I would expect from the processor and the 4Gb memorary - reason soon came apparent - W10 was downloading a shed-load of updates, went swimming and left it to get on with it - home and it seems that W10 had updated since the beginning of time the version of W10 the machine was loaded with and now was replacing it with a completely new version - dinner and bed.

This morning start it up and after about 45 minute of "do not turn of your computer ................" the start up screen appeared - Outlook and performance - business as usual :smile:

Still waiting to be told EXACTLY what is SOOOO much better than windows XP. A pretty stable base OS that allowed the instalation of any programme you needed took up far less disc space and basically did as it was told not as it wanted. I ask only this how many times have you heard the phrase ' Oh I'm so glad I've got windows 7 - 8 - 10 because now I can do xxxxxxxx that I couldn't do on XP' ? If never then why the upgrade ?

The fact it is still supported with updates ?

subaqua

What’s the point
The fact it is still supported with updates ?
And new security holes will be closed not left wide open .

XP was good but there are still security issues behind found and exploited.

Mike_P

Guru
Since installing this weeks Win 10 Anniversary Edition using IE I have found a problem browsing the forum - if you click on a notification that someone has commented on a thread or replied then the relevant posting is shown but the page it is on will not scroll up or down. Have to edit the page address by taking off the post number and then when the page reloads it will scroll.

Last edited:
i upgraded my PC just before the deadline (for the second time) - working fine apart from that I cannot use multiple screens in Tablet mode - but that is the nature of the beast - within an hour my brain had adjusted and I don't notice it now - tbh I dont really notice much difference - for me it is just a means to an end to run programmes - I don't really consciously use windows - multiple screens seem to have exercised their minds - the first incarnation of W10 on this PC came with multiple workspaces which seem to have gone or I just not found the setting

Top Bottom