Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
I have a very good monitor 22 inch so not too bad, I also have a 19 inch laptop with windows 10 for when I go away, but I do like a desktop with a bit of power and should last until I die ;)
I would question the memory being 8Gb rather than 16Gb. The more memory the better a pc is IME

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Having vowed to not use Windows 10 when Windows 7 goes end of life, I intended to go all Linux. However I have too much Windows software that dosen't work fully in Wine, so reluctantly went to Windows 10 last week, with a dual boot option for Linux Mint.

A spare Windows 7 Home key worked for a clean install to try it out but once I was happy that all was working ok, I changed the product key to my that of my now deleted Windows 7 Pro and that activated to give me Windows 10 Pro. It was a bit of a pain turning off the advertising and phone home stuff, or at least as much of it as MS allows, but once done it all seems rather slick. Biggest pain was constant prompting to associate media files with rubbish Windows 10 apps but I seem to have stopped that.

wonderloaf

Veteran
If any body is thinking of upgrading their Win 7 to 10 then it looks as though you can still get the free upgrade if you use the Media Creation Tool link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...d=_aqkk9nkt0gkftlhekk0sohz3xm2xlwc0wxkv63zm00

I've just done exactly this and was surprised how easy it was, only (!) took a couple of hours and most of that was waiting for the updates to download and be verified, etc.. I just chose the option to keep all documents and apps from Win 7 and it more or less just installed itself, even kept the desktop same as in the previous Win 7 ... never known this before!
My PC is probably about 8 years old and I built it specifically for photography purposes using Adobe Lightroom, so far have not found any problems and it seems to be running a bit quicker. I have the OS installed on a SSD which helps to speed things up, for those interested and thinking of switching my basic PC spec below:
1577907686702.png

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If any body is thinking of upgrading their Win 7 to 10 then it looks as though you can still get the free upgrade if you use the Media Creation Tool link:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?irgwc=1&OCID=AID2000142_aff_7794_1246483&tduid=(ir__aqkk9nkt0gkftlhekk0sohz3xm2xlwc0wxkv63zm00)(7794)(1246483)((6796919013db3b6bc53d3a0ccb2c940a)(266696)(1503186)(84412X1536482Xa102cb1e90c6916240b5dd9cca1868af)())(6796919013db3b6bc53d3a0ccb2c940a)&irclickid=_aqkk9nkt0gkftlhekk0sohz3xm2xlwc0wxkv63zm00

I've just done exactly this and was surprised how easy it was, only (!) took a couple of hours and most of that was waiting for the updates to download and be verified, etc.. I just chose the option to keep all documents and apps from Win 7 and it more or less just installed itself, even kept the desktop same as in the previous Win 7 ... never known this before!
My PC is probably about 8 years old and I built it specifically for photography purposes using Adobe Lightroom, so far have not found any problems and it seems to be running a bit quicker. I have the OS installed on a SSD which helps to speed things up, for those interested and thinking of switching my basic PC spec below:
View attachment 498645
Isnt that the same link as before that didnt work for me ? Oh well i will try again .

Rezillo

TwoSheds
It worked for me - I didn't post a link but it's what I used as per my post immediately before Wonderloaf's. If you go for a clean install, you need your Windows 7 product key, which should be on a sticker on your PC/laptop or on the box the Win 7 software came in. If you've lost it, there are programs that will generate the product key from your installation product ID. Some are riddled with adware, though, so be careful.

It may not work, though, if you have a oem Win 7 key. Aslo bear in mind that if you use the Win 7 key on another PC to install Win 10, thinking you can keep your Win 7 machine, your Win 7 installation will de-activate.

wonderloaf

Veteran
It worked for me - I didn't post a link but it's what I used as per my post immediately before Wonderloaf's. If you go for a clean install, you need your Windows 7 product key, which should be on a sticker on your PC/laptop or on the box the Win 7 software came in. If you've lost it, there are programs that will generate the product key from your installation product ID. Some are riddled with adware, though, so be careful.

It may not work, though, if you have a oem Win 7 key. Aslo bear in mind that if you use the Win 7 key on another PC to install Win 10, thinking you can keep your Win 7 machine, your Win 7 installation will de-activate.
I just went for the straight upgrade option and kept all the files and apps as-is, so no clean install required. I didn't need the product key as I have a validated install of Win 7 and Win 10 just installed and didn't ask, but just in case I used a program called 'Produkey' to extract the key anyway.

Mr Celine

Discordian

I upgraded my dad's Dell win 7 to win 10 last weekend, a fresh install on a new SSD. OEM Win 7 key worked fine.

The last PC I built for myself used the win7 key from the old one. The old PC now dual boots win7 and linux mint. On the odd occasion that I boot it into windows it doesn't 'de-activate' but downloads the latest updates as normal.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had started thinking of upgrading my old Dell to Win 10 so it could be a backup machine for my Win 10 Lenovo, but apparently the Dell hardware does not support OpenGL 2.1 and I need that, so the idea is a non-starter. I'll try my old Win 10 desktop PC and see how I get on with that...

That means I am back to 'Plan A' - Linux!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Blimey, what a load of time and trouble some of you are put to.

It would be simpler to buy a £200 Chromebook and leave all that amateur computer geekery behind.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

It would be simpler to buy a £200 Chromebook and leave all that amateur computer geekery behind.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am writing software on my devices and they need to do more than what I can do on a Chromebook!

(I know several people who use Chromebooks for web browsing, email, media, writing documents on etc. and they are very happy with them.)

There is also the question of finding £200 from somewhere, vs spending nothing! :okay:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I upgraded my dad's Dell win 7 to win 10 last weekend, a fresh install on a new SSD. OEM Win 7 key worked fine.

The last PC I built for myself used the win7 key from the old one. The old PC now dual boots win7 and linux mint. On the odd occasion that I boot it into windows it doesn't 'de-activate' but downloads the latest updates as normal.

An oem Win 7 key should work on an existing PC but generally, it is tied to hardware (specifically the motherboard and a hash key derived from its id), so may not work if used for installing win 10 on a new or different PC.

With regard to keeping Win 7 going while using the same key to activate Windows 10, sooner or later the activation servers will detect that the same key is being used on two different PCs. Whether both remain active, much depends on the key and what it originally was valid for - multiple business-based installs or retail. Unlike a consumer oem key, the latter will be transferable from one PC to another (I've had to phone activate a couple of times over the years) but MS usually only permit one installation to be active at a time. The precise nature of, say, Ebay-bought keys are usually an unknown quantity to the buyer, so you could just be lucky.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can't speak for anyone else, but I am writing software on my devices and they need to do more than what I can do on a Chromebook!

(I know several people who use Chromebooks for web browsing, email, media, writing documents on etc. and they are very happy with them.)

There is also the question of finding £200 from somewhere, vs spending nothing! :okay:

I wonder how many users have genuine need of many of the gazillion features of a Windows operating system.

Not everyone is like me, but I come across a lot of people that are - home computing doesn't amount to much more than web surfing, which can be done within any browser.

Computing at work may be a little different.

alicat

Legendary Member
My MacBook Air died recently and I wanted to buy something for surfing the internet, writing emails etc leaving the heavy grunt work for my desktop.

What put me off buying a Chromebook was the fact (I was told) that the only browser on them is Chrome. Sometimes I find that a particular website doesn't work well with Chrome so I need an alternative.

I've ended up with a refurbished small Lenovo 2-in1 laptop converted from Windows 8 to Ubuntu. I'm enjoying tinkering with something new, keeping out of the grasp of Microsoft and Apple as well as keeping my total spend to £149.99. ^_^

Rezillo

TwoSheds
I'm not sure that getting rid of Microsoft monitoring your life by ditching its software and using a Chromebook instead, where Google is doing much the same, is any better. That depends how bothered you are by companies flogging your data profile, of course.

For Linux, while I would guess that most people would get by with browsing and email software, if you're a hobbyist or have any remotely exotic hardware, you can run into problems. I have some survey software that runs under Wine (a windows emulator) but won't talk to the meter it needs to download data from over a usb com port cable. A gizmo I use to record LPs doesn't work at all in Linux Mint 19.2, my soundcard works but not all its peripheral features, a TV card needs its drivers recompiling from scratch every time there's a kernel change and there are some really tedious problems with basic networking that have to be resolved with obscure command line stuff.

To be fair, you can get 95% of things working in Linux straight off but be prepared for weeks of frustration with the remaining 5% and be prepared for custom fixes to break after updates. As a free OS that doesn't phone home, though, it is fine for general internet use.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

time... two hours.
trouble... seamless upgrade = no trouble at all.

if you've got a spare £200 to burn, then yes, spend £200 on something one might not really need.

I haven't got a spare £200, but i do have a spare 2 hours.

Top Bottom