Windows 7 End of Life Announcement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For a Win7 experience in Win10 just use classic shell and you won't realise you've changed version. I must be unusual in that I've never had any trouble with Win 10 (or 7/XP)
I updated to 10 when it came out but reverted to 7 cos I couldn't get on with it, I wonder if my machine is running 10 that looks like 7.
I know you could always make any version of 'Windows' appear like another earlier version but thought that 10 was a new start.

Mart44

Über Member
I've mostly kept up with changing operating systems as Microsoft has released them, starting with Windows 95. The only exception being Vista. I stayed with XP during that period.

W.10 is the best Microsoft OS so far in my experience. It runs all of my installed programs without a hitch and with an SSD, boots up very quickly. I've used Linux Mint on a spare computer fairly extensively and the OS is good enough. I don't think it could take the place of windows 10 for me but I know others feel differently.

I have a laptop computer with Windows 7 on it purely to play a game that won't run on Windows 10 (Bejeweled Twist) but that's about the only drawback I've found with Windows 10. I can put up with just that.

I find Windows 10's alphabetical menu along with tiles for the 'most used' programs better than the menus in Windows 7 (same as has been used since Windows 95). The tiles were bit of a shock to start with but having got used to them, I now prefer Windows 10's interface and menu arrangement.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't keep up! :laugh:

I haven't changed my old Dell to Linux yet and a mate has just called in and donated an old Asus Eee PC netbook which also has Windows 7 on it. It is ancient hardware but quite a neat little device so I think I will port that one to Linux too.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've got a few ancient Dell Latitudes. Swap parts about to keep them going. Once you insert a different hard drive windows informs you that your copy is illegal. Which it isn't. I bought an SSD drive and paid £1, off ebay, for a Linux Mint installation disc. It works fine but a lot of my software doesn't work on it such as Mapsource. Wine doesn't always work for me and to do a lot of stuff I find one needs to be a bit of a knowledgeable Geek which I'm not. I now tend to use my cheap MotoG smartphone to surf the net more and more. It is faster than any of my computers and can see why the kids use them to surf so much. The laptop I am typing this on is one my daughter gave me [windows 8] as she never uses it any more, prefers the phone.

Mike_P

Guru
One big advantage to W10 over W7 is how quickly it shuts down, no annoying waits when wanting to leave work quickly:hello: At home I also use Open Shell on W10 but, shock horror, still have an XP desktop:excl: Rarely used it's sole purpose is to work an equally elderly A3 scanner on the very infrequent occasions something bigger than A4 has to be scanned.

ColinJ

I'm going to bite the built and buy this in the New Year
https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/range/novatechlifenti353.html
with windows 10
That looks pretty decent but do you do anything that demands that kind of computing power (games, music production, whatever)? By the time you have added Windows and a monitor you will have spent £700+, whereas you could have bought a perfectly decent laptop for half that and it would take up less space and use less electricity.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
That looks pretty decent but do you do anything that demands that kind of computing power (games, music production, whatever)? By the time you have added Windows and a monitor you will have spent £700+, whereas you could have bought a perfectly decent laptop for half that and it would take up less space and use less electricity.
I have a very good monitor 22 inch so not too bad, I also have a 19 inch laptop with windows 10 for when I go away, but I do like a desktop with a bit of power and should last until I die ;)

ColinJ

I have a very good monitor 22 inch so not too bad, I also have a 19 inch laptop with windows 10 for when I go away, but I do like a desktop with a bit of power and should last until I die ;)
Understood! My new laptop is pretty powerful so I can do most of what I want on it, including playing about with FL Studio, but if I ever want to do more than play about I would want to use a decent PC with a huge monitor.

The problem I have using a desktop/tower PC these days is that I can't sit comfortably in a normal seated position at a desk because my DVT-ravaged left leg swells up and goes numb. (I would have to get a different chair and use a footstool so I can slump with my legs up, giving a 135 degree angle between my torso and legs.)

Top Bottom