Windows 7 Starter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

XBMC is the dog's wotsits. It's one of those projects that concentrates more on power and features than ease of use and installation, but the effort pays dividends.
A good way to check it out would be to get the Sabayon live DVD (http://www.sabayon.org/) which includes XBMC. I use it in conjunction with MythTV as my PVR in the lounge, and on the bedroom XBOX and I love it.
deffo the dogs, it is ridiculously nice when it works smoothly, and xbmcbuntu has a stripped down version of ubuntu in it so you can use the tv for web browsing/email ect. With raspberry pi coming soon you should be able to strap xbmc on the back of every tv in the house :biggrin:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
best distro to use for a file server would be centos as its built from RHEL so its stable and features mature packages, i would install it without a gui as this would just consume unrequired resources and use the ext4 filesystem or btrfs.
If you want more cutting edge packages I would look at Gentoo or Funtoo.

david1701

My file server happens to be in my bedroom hooked up to a tv, ATM running windows, so leaning towards xbmc for its front end, it's just I'm not sure how things run in the background on it

I spose I should look into serveryer distros but I'm just not that much of a power user (like I say windows server)

Top Bottom