Windows update advice wanted please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Earlier today my windows 8 lap top started an update and quickly got to 3 of 12 updates, four hours later it's still on 3 of 12.

I was told that if I interrupt an update I might kill my lap top and have to take it to the nice man in the repair shop, is that true, or can I switch it off to get it out of this hang up?

Fubar

Guru
Earlier today my windows 8 lap top started an update and quickly got to 3 of 12 updates, four hours later it's still on 3 of 12.

I was told that if I interrupt an update I might kill my lap top and have to take it to the nice man in the repair shop, is that true, or can I switch it off to get it out of this hang up?

Think you're going to have to kill it - not familiar with W8 but if it messes up your laptop you should be able to do a roll back either in normal or safe mode.

If that happens I'm sure the good folks on here can help!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just because the Windows Update has stalled doesn't mean your PC has. Try a normal Windows shutdown first. If that fails, then you may have to force it by holding down the Power button until the PC turns off. Good luck with that. As the others mentioned, if you have trouble starting Windows after that, try starting it in Safe instead of Normal mode.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
ok assuming the PC can be switched OFF

1..switch OFF
2..pull the main power cord
3..start the PC...of couse it wont
4 wait 5 mins and restart AGAIN
6 do this twice more
[this is to drain ALL the power from the circuits - dont ask]
7 plug in PC
8 switch ON whilst tapping F8 key
9 on the black screen of options go down to ''Last Good Configuration''..... ENTER

Windows should start
open Computer, System Properties, System Protection and make a Restore Point

Windows Updates have a history of errors
usually they are made available the 2nd Tuesday of every month
i [and many many others] WAIT till Friday then Google ''any problems with KB302**** ''
if all OK, i manually installed EACH update one-at-a-time
so if prob i know which one

only this week reports of KB3021917 causing laptop freezes - was 3021917 one of yours .....dont install it

in your Windows Update options dont tick AUTO UPDATE
but select ''download updates - let me install them''
gives you a chance to see if any are likely to be a prob

GOOD LUCK

Doseone

Guru
Windows updates are a blessing and a pain.

My laptop has been locked up by an update in the past - I think some of the updates can be quite large and the slow internet speed we get can't cope. So now I've got the settings to not automatically download the updates. One of last week's updates caused all the fonts on my Vista running laptop to look odd, so I had to remove that particular one. I'm pretty sure that it creates a system restore point before downloading the updates anyway.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
................ One of last week's updates caused all the fonts on my Vista running laptop to look odd, ....

^^^only this week reports of KB3021917 causing laptop freezes - was 3021917 one of yours .....dont install it

Top Bottom