Windsor-Chester-Windsor 600km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Anybody here riding this?

No reason for asking. I'm just making conversation, as one does :whistle:
Not riding it, but I am running the Belbroughton Control

Huff n Puff

I have entered....will be my first 600, so any tips welcome. For example, the clothing bags, does everyone change kit at the control? Do people get a couple of hours kip there? Earplugs? Towel for showers? Toothbrush? Not sure what to pack to be honest.
When I did my first 400, I watched and learned by following more experienced guys. Trouble is, if I put the wrong gear in my clothes bag for a 600, it's kinda too late!

Trickedem

Guru
I'm doing it. Looking forward to it, but I'm a bit apprehensive about fitness and I've also had a bad back for a few days. My plan is to get as far as I can, before I feel so tired I need to have a short snooze. I will carry a change of clothes, small wash kit and a tiny towel with me so I can have a wash when I feel the need to stop. Some eyepatches and earplugs might be a good idea too. I did LEL last year and didn't have any problem getting to sleep, as I was so tired.

OP
OP
Y

yello

It's going to be a learning experience for you HnP! People ride differently. Some ride 600 straight through with next to no sleep, or some none at all. Some take advantage of sleep stops or even book hotels. So nobody can really tell you what strategy will work for you.

However, as someone who will aim to ride pretty much straight through, I can offer my own thoughts. This 600 is extraordinarily well provisioned so, IMHO, it's an idea to take advantage.

In your bag drop, I'd have at least a towel and one change of bibs, socks, shirt. You could put two changes in, if you want to change on the outbound leg, but that'd be overkill for me - it's only 182km. Whether I'll shower and change on the return (433km), I don't know but at least I have the option.

I'll probably stick a couple of boxes of cereal bars in too, one for out and one for back. Not much else though. Remember, it's only a carrier bag permitted so you can't go mad. I'm used to carrying everything I need on a 600 anyway so I'm only using the bag drop to lighten my load, not to have more stuff!

I'll carry arm warmers (maybe leg warmers plus gloves), gilet, a shower/wind proof plus the usual first aid bits, munchie bars, gadgetry, etc. I've not looked at the weather forecast yet so my plan might change!

I'm really looking forward to this ride. Somehow, in my head, it's a bit different to the usual 600. I'm hoping to ride to enjoy it, take some LEL/PBP spirit with me.

Huff n Puff

Thanks Yello and Trickedem

That's really helpful as it happens. Think that just about covers most things, I've no idea whether I'll sleep or not TBH, really is uncharted territory for me.....the distance rather than the North of England!

Indeed, being a Soulie, I did quite a few all-nighters in the North of England in my youth but that's a different story. Unlike the all-nighters though, I suspect those immortal titles, 'I'm on my way', 'Time will pass you by' and 'Long after tonight is all over' may be more appropriate notions at the start rather than the end.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I'm not doing this one but the Flatlands 600k ride in mid-September, which will be my first 600k ride as well. I've talked to several exeperienced Audaxers, and their core advice turned out to be:

- don't go too fast at the start
- try to minimize the time off the bike, in particular on the first day. Every minute off the bike is a minute less sleep
- eat regularly and in small portions, always carry some emergency food
- don't think about distances and averages while riding, it will drive you crazy

Have a good ride!

Huff n Puff

Thanks Redfalo

The first time at anything is a bit of a discovery. I only started Audaxing recently and don't know many Audaxers. After a few 200ks I bought a Carradice bag. After my first 400k I went out and bought a hub dynamo and B&M lights. I then did a 300k and bought nothing afterwards...marvellous! I suspect the learning here will be about things to take with me and pacing, as you allude.

Good luck with your 600k.

Huff n Puff

I have to say how brilliantly organised WCW was and the riders were a friendly bunch. It was probably a good learning curve with the remnants of Hurricane Bertha for company on Sunday morning, Despite the wind, rain and sunshine over the course, I mainly had the right clothing options. Slept for a couple of hours, which revived me enough. The food supplied by the organisers was great, ate a loss less of my own stuff as a result. Apart from the weather, the only downsides were a puncture and a bit of Hotfoot near the end, so overall an excellent intro to the world of 600s.

OP
OP
Y

yello

I have to say how brilliantly organised WCW was

I'd echo that. When you consider the man power and hours put in to organising it all was voluntary then it's nothing short of humbling. Big BIG thanks to all involved.

Ride report: I got wet, it was lumpier than I expected, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Welcome to the fraternity HnP. As it welcomes you I think it says farewell to me. I reckon I'll be limiting myself to 200s henceforth. There's something about the longer rides - the sleep deprivation, the system upheaval - that I personally don't think entirely wise. I know from chatting to Philip Whiteman (otp, and of upstream and Belbroughton control) that he has similar views.

Top Bottom