Windsor-Chester-Windsor 600km

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This whole thread is full of typos - I hate to break it to you but the title has it listed as 600km rather than what it obviously should be - 60km. Nobody in their right mind would attempt to ride that far, that must be close to around the world twice???:ohmy:

Huff n Puff

Clearly a typo problem, it was actually 615k, not 600. You too appear to have made a typo, it was round the Wolds twice, not the world.

Trickedem

Guru
I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers, for such hard work. This was a brilliant route I really enjoyed myself. However I felt really sleepy on the last leg into Chester and had to stop for a snooze in a bus shelter. This helped, but once I got to Chester I felt I needed another sleep and I left there with no spare time in the bank. I had a terrible time on the next leg having to stop twice more for a nap and by the time I got to Upton Magna I was in a bad way, having lost my appetite and not being able to eat or drink much. After another 2 hours sleep I wasn't feeling any better, so reluctantly decided to retire.
I am really keen to do PBP next year, so I have been thinking hard about what I can do to improve: number 1 priority is to sort out the appetite. I sort of know the answer is to drink more in the first place, but a sleep deprived mind forgets this. Secondly I need to do something about the sleepiness. Pro plus tablets have been suggested. Any tips or ideas greatfuly considered.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear that @Trickedem , you did far better then I would have managed that's for sure. I remember you telling me before about having trouble drinking and eating. Perhaps set an alarm on your garmin to remind you at intervals to drink.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Eating, drinking and sleeping can be problematic. I wish I had an answer because I'd be doing it!

My appetite went too. It grieved me to look at cakes and just feel sick! I get sugared out quickly and easily, so try and vary my snacks and eat little and often on the bike. Not for me plate fulls of food at each control, they just sit heavy unless I sit around for hours I can't afford. So if I'm going to eat larger portions, its before sleeping. Some say you have to force yourself to eat, I can't do that and left half a plate of beans on toast at the Honeybourne control.

Service stations can be a mecca. They sometimes have a selection of savory stuff like pies, scotch eggs, etc. Scan the shelves and let your palate be your guide. Any food is better than none. At Muxton, I couldn't face McD's but found some very acceptable deli-style chicken bits in the service station.

With drinks, I can't do any kind of sports drink. Again, I feel sick. So it's just plain water for me. And I tire of that too! So it's the occasional small bottle of apple juice or whatever takes my fancy just to break the taste.

Sleep, well, not a good subject for me. I'm not fast enough to bank enough time to get the sleep I need. I have to ride buzzy headed and foggy to complete in time. It's not good and possibly the biggest motivating factor in my decision to stop the big rides. I just don't think it's safe.

Others don't seem to have that problem and can function on a few hours sleep, or they simply accept it as part of the challenge (and that's fine and their call to make) but IMHO you have to seriously ask yourself how important are rides like PBP if you need your sleep.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
After another 2 hours sleep I wasn't feeling any better, so reluctantly decided to retire.

Sorry to hear that.

This was my fourth attempt at a 600 and only the second I've completed. All I can say is it doesn't necessarily get easier, but you learn coping strategies. You learn how your body reacts to the different stresses (which, let's face it, are considerable) and how to deal with them.

My first 600 was the Beast From The East in 2007, which was afflicted by similarly tough weather conditions and I made it about the same distance before abandoning. There's no shame in it. The shame is if you don't come back next time to complete your unfinished business...
:evil:

Top Bottom