"winning" on eBay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ebay encourages you to think of buying as winning. This seems like newspeak from 1984. Change the language to change the way you think. EBay wants you to respond to it like gambling rather than shopping. I guess they think that will make you spend more.
Maybe that's why I don't use eBay. I don't enjoy gambling
Ironically gambling sites call themselves "gaming"

Also
I find the terminology a bit odd too. "Won" in the ebay context could mean "I've scored a real bargain" or alternatively "I have just foolishly agreed to pay over the odds". I typically use the term "bought".

It is competitive. It's how all auctions work.
Good point.
"winning bid" does predate eBay.

tobykenobi

Über Member
It can get competitive - you see things go for more than they are worth* as bidders try to outdo one another.

I believe the best strategy is to decide the maximum you are prepared to pay and bid this amount at the last minute. It's called "sniping" and you can get software or sites to do it for you. There's an explanation here.

*Obviously that's a bit subjective.

classic33

Leg End Member
The only point in sniping in that situation is to altruistically save the competing bidder from getting carried away and bidding over the odds.
It adds that bit extra to the process though. "I'm better at sniping than you, because I won the item".

classic33

Leg End Member
Either that or you have been mugged by the seller's shill.
Shill bidding, illegal. No-one does that sort of thing any more on ebay!!

outlash

also available in orange
Perhaps if, in an eBay context, we just put winning in inverted commas that would make the distinction work.

Like in the OP where this thread originated from? IIRC there was confusion with a member who struggles with relatively simple concepts like this.

classic33

Leg End Member
Like in the OP where this thread originated from? IIRC there was confusion with a member who struggles with relatively simple concepts like this.
It's an odd choice of words used, even when there's a buy it now price. Nowt else.
No bid made, but you've still "won" the item.

And who still manages to annoy me even when I can't see his postings.
I don't know quite how to say this but I never really intended to create any smilies at all, I was lying.
Um, well, yes. I got that.
No bid made, but you've still "won" the item.
Because they want you to feel happy with your purchase and to come back soon.

------------

I guess it's not ebay, it's auctions in general. Sometimes people pick up real bargains, sometimes they get something for less than they were prepared to pay. But always you have bought something (sniping aside) for more than anyone else in the room (or on eBay) was prepared to pay. Calling it a "win" helps take that bad taste away.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I bought some £150 bib shorts a few months back when they were reduced to £65, wore them twice and didn't like them, so decided to sell them on e-bay, started the bidding at £30 to ensure I could buy some other shorts and that was all I got, £27 by the time I knock off fees.
I would therefore classify the buyer as a winner and me a loser- those were 2 expensive bike rides :sad:

Top Bottom