Winter arrived....erm, then went way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Well

-5C this morning at the house. Ice everywhere, and an absolutely baltic 15 miles to work over sheet ice on the untreated country lanes into Inverness. Fortunately, I saw the forecast so put the schwalbe marathon winters on the bike last night, but still ran them at fairly high pressure, felt OK, pretty solid.

Way home very windy, much warmer (0C) and beautifully clear, but just after the Kessock bridge......puncture. Changed tube, nothing obvious in the tyre. 5 mins later tyre flat again. This time, checked the tyre more thoroughly, and found massive square staple (who knows what it was designed for but it was a monster) in the tyre masquerading as one of the winter studs. Passed by two cyclists, one completely blanked me, and the other stopped to see if I was OK (a guy from the village who I meet sometimes). Second tube in. and on my way, happy that I had found the PF's dirty trick.

1hr 50mins instead of an hour commute. This, after my post "Bad morning" of earlier this week. Certainly my most challenging commuting week since I re-discovered cycling last february!

Home now, beer in hand............and you know what, I still enjoyed the ride home. who needs a car!!

:wacko:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Youll be OK this year in Inverness. My Uncle lives near Beauly, and has just bought a snow plough for his tractor. Will arrive soon, so you've had your snow for this winter!

Well

-5C this morning at the house. Ice everywhere, and an absolutely baltic 15 miles to work over sheet ice on the untreated country lanes into Inverness. Fortunately, I saw the forecast so put the schwalbe marathon winters on the bike last night, but still ran them at fairly high pressure, felt OK, pretty solid.

Way home very windy, much warmer (0C) and beautifully clear, but just after the Kessock bridge......puncture. Changed tube, nothing obvious in the tyre. 5 mins later tyre flat again. This time, checked the tyre more thoroughly, and found massive square staple (who knows what it was designed for but it was a monster) in the tyre masquerading as one of the winter studs. Passed by two cyclists, one completely blanked me, and the other stopped to see if I was OK (a guy from the village who I meet sometimes). Second tube in. and on my way, happy that I had found the PF's dirty trick.

1hr 50mins instead of an hour commute. This, after my post "Bad morning" of earlier this week. Certainly my most challenging commuting week since I re-discovered cycling last february!

Home now, beer in hand............and you know what, I still enjoyed the ride home. who needs a car!!

:wacko:

Great effort that, well done. Coldest morning here for a long time, computer read 0.6c on arrival at work this morning.

OP
OP
jonathanw

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Youll be OK this year in Inverness. My Uncle lives near Beauly, and has just bought a snow plough for his tractor. Will arrive soon, so you've had your snow for this winter!

Yes, I think after last year where some of us had 24" of snow in the garden for over a month, we are preparing for the worst this year. However, as you say, that probably means we're in for a mild one.

Top Bottom