Winter Bib Tights - What's Hot?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickWi

Guru
As it says above, I'm looking for a pair of Winter Bib Tights. Looking on Google there are loads out there, but I'd like to narrow it down a bit with a few recommendation from users, plus a couple of personal preferences.

First off, I'm no light weight. 6' 0" and 100kg. An Italian XXL just won't cut it.
Secondly, my stomach seems to feel the cold. A lot of bib tights say windproof, but when you read the details it's just windproof on the front of the legs. I want something that has at the minimum a windproof crotch and preferably a tall windproof tummy panel.
Thirdly, I'd like a zip in the front panel. For men of a certain age, the urgency for pee can be very urgent.
Lastly, I'm not bothered about waterproofness, it's a nice add on if they come with it, but not really on my tick box list.

Really lastly, whilst I'm not saying money isn't an object (Mr PPI scandal man has just sent me a rather fat cheque), I don't mind paying for quality, durability and ticking the boxes.

Any suggesteions or recommendations?

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Lusso :okay:

I'd consider these:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clot...pro-windproof-thermal-bib-tights-black_466340

and the others from same manufacturer/shop at a pound less

Do check their sizing info.

I am a recent convert to bib tights - I found the £14.99 ones fine on a day ride round the dales.

They don't have a zip (if looking for a zip check out Planet X things though I have no first-hand knowledge of them).

I too was concerned about toilet breaks but found the ones I used fine and decided that a zip, especially in such an area was a liability and could possibly bust, rendering the tights useless.

Never heard of anyone needing to windproof their crotch - as for keeping your stomach warm I'd leave that to the clothing you are wearing on top.

si_c

Guru
I'm 6'5" and around the same weight and I found the 2XL sizes from dhb (Wiggle) fit me pretty well- the classic thermal bibs were good they don't advertise as wind/water proof but I found them pretty warm and they meet your other criteria of having a zip down the front also.

I used them every day last winter commuting and they held up really well.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Never heard of anyone needing to windproof their crotch

What? It's standard procedure below 0C, maybe even below about +2/3C.

Most manufacturers' deep winter bibtights thankfully have the windproof fabric extending over the crotch, and frequently higher up the front as sought by the OP. A few that I have that do, as well as having frontal zips:
  • Gore C3 Windstopper
  • Gore Oxygen Windstopper
  • Bontrager Velocis S2 Softshell (warmer than S1 below)
  • Bontrager Velocis Halo S1 Softshell
  • Endura FS260-Pro SL
  • Assos Airblock LL.Plus - from about 2003

Last edited:
suppose i just take it for granted that whatever I'm wearing down there takes care of it - and its not as if its exposed facing the wind like my fingers and toes. I honestly can't say I've ever felt the cold there on a bike.

Wot happens if you do - exciting shivering?

iluvmybike

Über Member
I'd recommend Stolen Goat's 'Climb & Conquer' bib tights

OP
OP
NickWi

NickWi

Guru
Hi All, Thanks for your replies so far and particularly like the look of those Bontrager Velocis S2 and the Stolen Goat kit. Both tick the boxes, but the Bontrager ones have a zip. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

vickster

Legendary Member
Stolen Goat are really responsive if you need advice on sizing. Bontrager are American, so as long as you avoid race/form fit, sizing should not be akin to Italian sizes

Top Bottom