Winter bike with 25 or 28 tyres and room for mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect this has been asked over and over. I've taken to roading and recently got a Genesis Equilibrium 30 with Campag Athena but don't want to trash it over winter. I love Reynolds frames. Any suggestions for a Winter trainer with 25-28 tyres and room for a full mudguard that could be picked up used £250- £350? Ribble maybe?

Best
Julia

outlash

also available in orange
It's a bike designed for mudguards, get some and enjoy it all year round :smile:. FWIW, my 'posh' bike was originally bought for winter purposes, but it's such a nice ride, it gets used all the time no matter the weather.

Sharky

Guru
I ride a ribble winter frame with continental contact 28mm tyres, but currently without mudguards. Don't think full traditional mudguards would fit, but the skinny race blades might (not sure of their correct name).

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
It's a bike designed for mudguards, get some and enjoy it all year round :smile:. FWIW, my 'posh' bike was originally bought for winter purposes, but it's such a nice ride, it gets used all the time no matter the weather.

I had been wondering whether to just use the Genesis because it is a great all year round bike but I'm worried about how quickly the Winter road salt etc will trash It? I've already purchased the mudguards! But...

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
I ride a ribble winter frame with continental contact 28mm tyres, but currently without mudguards. Don't think full traditional mudguards would fit, but the skinny race blades might (not sure of their correct name).

Aren't the Ribble Winter frames sold with mudguards?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I had been wondering whether to just use the Genesis because it is a great all year round bike but I'm worried about how quickly the Winter road salt etc will trash It? I've already purchased the mudguards! But...
If the bike is well looked after and cleaned after riding on salty winter roads there is no reason why it should get "trashed", keep the bike well maintained, quick wash and dry off before putting away after winter rides and it will be fine. Fitting mudguards will help protect the bike and keep you dry in wet weather.

outlash

also available in orange

Without knowing where you live, but round these parts it's not been cold enough for the gritters during winter for the last 4 years or so. Full length mudguards will take almost all of the crap the road throws up anyway. You can always give the bike a quick wipe down after a ride or a weekly clean if you think it needs it.

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
Thanks so much for all your comments. I've read articles that say it's false economy not to have a winter bike. Perhaps I should invest in a power washer Instead! And start reading up about winter tyres. Those articles make it sound as though all your components will need replacing after one winter!

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
Yes they do and they are the full traditional type, but I think they come with 23mm tyres. I bought just the frame a few years ago and have used the "half" mudguards which stop at the brakes and with the 28mm tyres.

It would be ideal to have 28mm and clearance. Like my Genesis. I suspect I have already gone and purchased a Winter Bike! But, it's too posh..

Philhh

Why trash excellent components in winter when a "winter bike "would give you a good ride and it's components would be cheaper to replace as they take the winter hammer?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think power washers are a great idea

If using the bike day in day out commuting in all weathers, a used Ribble winter or even a second hand equilibrium with a lower groupset seems sensible

Is your genesis a disk brake model?
You can winterize a steel bike with a bit of car wax for external surfaces and some grease or copperslip for metal-metal contacts such as seatpost, pedal threads etc.
I pack my hubs with plenty of grease where possible. Modern bottom brackets seem to be more vulnerable to water than old fashioned square taper cartridge bearings such as Shimano UN series.
If you do choose to get a dedicated winter bike, I would suggest a disk brake for mucky days, and generous tyre clearance. You can always use narrower tyres, but the choice of 32mm+mudguards is a useful one to have.

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
I was wondering about a Ribble 525 or a disc Equilibrium Vickster. I really would like 28mm + full mudguards. Wouldn't a 32mm+ go into cyclo-cross territory Michael? My current bike doesn't have discs. Aren't there other road bikes out there with 28mm (min) and clearance?

Top Bottom