Winter bike with 25 or 28 tyres and room for mudguards?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
It's perfect Vickster! I'm 5.10. 55cm would be spot on (and with 90 stem - my current fit). I can't contact him though because I'm a new member. Wonder if it could be posted. I may have even collected it. It may have gone now anyway..

You usually get more clearance on a winter bike by using long-drop caliper brakes, and a frame designed to take them. On my winter bike, the brake blocks are not at the bottom adjustment, yet I have enough room for 32mm Marathon tyres and full length SKS mudguards. I have used 25mm, 28mm and 32mm according to conditions. It is not a cyclo-cross setup and I don't have room for CX knobblies, but it is a useful combination for rougher roads, even tracks and trails. As i said, excess clearance is rarely a problem, but not enough clearance is a hindrance.

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
Thanks Michael. I think I may keep an eye out for something cheap with clearance, should it come along, but stick with my Genesis in the interim.

It would be ideal to have 28mm and clearance. Like my Genesis. I suspect I have already gone and purchased a Winter Bike! But, it's too posh..

I did just the same - bought an Equilibrium Disc 10 as an all-rounder last year, but then just found it too gorgeous to ride through rain and salt and filth so got myself a cheap Boardman CX as my winter ride.

I take good care of both bikes but I'm glad I got a second bike as there are times when it's just not feasible to do a wash down and regrease some nights after riding through crud and it would pain me to think of the Genesis sat rotting in the shed on those occasions! Plus, doing 5,000+ miles a year means components are going to wear out regardless of riding conditions, so having 2 bikes spreads this process out and means I always have one road-worthy bike even if waiting for a new part for the other etc.

If it's not too hilly where you are a single-speed might be the ideal solution for ease of maintenance and to keep costs down? That's what I ought to have got as my winter ride really, but went for the CX because it doubles as a bit of an off-roader when I want to hit the woodland trails.

Cheers,

Andy

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
Hi Andy. I'm going to go for a second cheaper bike. I completely agree. It's whether I'll have the energy, after a cold long Sunday ride, to stand outside with a hose and bucket. It may just be more cost effective to get a second. Vickster spotted one on here for me but it looks like it may be a perfect match for my other half. Who, being in the same situation, may grab it instead!

It's whether I'll have the energy, after a cold long Sunday ride, to stand outside with a hose and bucket.
Yeah. I commute daily too, so for me it's not so much the energy as the times when I get home wet through in the pitch dark - I don't have a garage so would be trying to clean the bike in the dark with cold hands...non-starter really. A quick hose off and bounce followed by a spray of GT85 at best...straight in the shed dirty at worst, and neither of those options is good enough for my Equilibrium!
It may just be more cost effective to get a second
Not to mention more fun! Plus it makes your best bike feel even better to ride in comparison to the not-quite-as-good-workhorse.

OP
OP
C

ColourPainter

Regular
Exactly EasyPeez. My pearl white Genesis would not like getting dirty at all!
Brilliant spot Vickster! Thank you so much. I've tried to contact them. A 54 would suit.

Top Bottom