Winter boots/shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi Peeps

Looking for advice on winter footwear hopefully to keep my feet warm and dry.

These are for a road bike btw

The whole spectrum in price also, I don’t mind paying for quality.

Thanks in advance

Eldridge.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Here's my 2p-worth:

I've never bothered with special winter footwear, as I've never seen any reviews which have painted them in a good light for either insulation or being waterproof, especially considering the hefty prices charged for them.

When it gets cold, I just put Gaffa Tape over the air-holes on the soles of my road shoes, and wear two pairs of my Planet X socks, with a sandwich bag worn between the first & second sock on each foot. If it's wet, I wear my neoprene overshoes in addition to the double-socks-and-sarnie-bag combo.

As an extra insulating layer when it's dry, you could also either wear the overshoes for general all-over foot warmth or use neoprene toe-covers for a more targeted approach to keeping your toes warm.

vickster

Legendary Member
Northwave ones seem to have their fans as do Specialized. Not sure why it makes a difference as to the type of bike (due to the type of cleats maybe??)?

Ultimately, the choice isn't that great, so as with any footwear, buy the one that fit you best (even if you need to change the pedals for the winter?)

Dryness wise, surely the holes in the top and in the soles will be detrimental in heavy rain at least

the_mikey

Legendary Member
How do you get on with the ankle cuff (I'm guessing this is the Climaflex collar?), especially when pulling them on before a ride?
They take a bit of getting used to. The technique is to put the boot on back to front initially, with the foot pointed straight down, then rotate the boot into position, and press down whilst holding the collar.. They are quite snug, and not good news for people with hernias :laugh:.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I use a cheap but comfy pair of cycling shoes with the air holes taped over then put neoprene shoe covers over them (and a toe thingy if very cold!)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
They take a bit of getting used to. The technique is to put the boot on back to front initially, with the foot pointed straight down, then rotate the boot into position, and press down whilst holding the collar.. They are quite snug, and not good news for people with hernias :laugh:.

I have a pair of Northwave winter boots from 2014, which have a draw cord to tighten the boot to fit, and a two piece velco fastening which shields the boot and collar from wind and water, but they're getting quite worn out. I'm willing to try the new design at least, given there's not a wealth of options when it comes to winter cycling boots, and anything to avoid using overshoes.

gbb

Legendary Member
Most importantly, how do you cope with the old eldridge ?
TBF anyones pereonal experience and preference is pretty irrelevant unless their tolerance to the cold is the same or similar to yours.
I suffer terribly with circulation, chilblains etc in the winter so have tried many combos with limited success.

Slioch

Guru
I use my summer cycling shoes, but wear a pair of merino wool winter socks and a neoprene overshoe. Works ok for me, but everyone is a wee bit different in the cold extremities department.

I use these from PlanetX because they're sensibly priced and work well, but other brands are available.

Top Bottom