Winter clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Hi All,

My new years resolution of doing 10 miles on the bike every day is going well.
However, unlike a year or so ago when I used to commute, my legs, particularly my ankles are tending to go bright red and become very itchy when I shower afterwards.
The temps in Surrey are quite low (for Surrey) so 0-5 degrees with windchill.

I cycle in Long baggy shorts (Endura Humvees).
Now - I don't *feel* particularly cold of leg when cycling (never have - we were made to go to school in shorts in all weathers), it's just the hot shower after that seems to make the old legs sting.
I am therefore wondering whether cycling tights might be the way forward.

This then rolls forward to the next issue. When I was looking at the aforementioned, there seems to be a certain expectation of thinness. I am 5'6" tall, and shall we say a little heavier than I would like to be :angel:. Most importantly I have only 29 inches available in my leg on a good day, yet an optimistic 40 inches around my waist (currently).
This seems to be an unacceptable combination. I have also looked at leggy things (cycling stockings?) but am unsure...

Any advice hive mind?

Iain

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Cycling tights are your answer (the 'stockings'). You can get padded or unpadded ones.

vickster

Legendary Member
Should keep knees covered when it's this cold.
You could get some thermal running tights if you don't want padding (if you must, you can wear them under baggy shorts although it looks daft IMO :laugh:)

Why not just let your legs warm up in a pair of joggers or similar before showering? :wacko:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Why not just let your legs warm up in a pair of joggers or similar before showering? :wacko:

Because as a mere male, the idea of delaying before showering hasn't occurred to me?
Also the rest of my family strongly encourage me to exit their presence and make myself smell nice as quickly as possible for some reason...^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

Ladies tights, used to wear them under the motorcycle gear years ago.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

si_c

Guru
Depends on what I'm wearing but when out in winter I either wear bib tights (I quite like the dhb stuff from Wiggle) or baggy shorts with leg warmers. Either works well for commuting or rides up to about 20 miles, but because the tights are seamless they are my go to for longer rides.

Entirely personal preference, but given that thermal leg warmers can be got cheaply (I paid £7.99 on ebay for the ones I have) I'd give them a try first as it'll give you more flexibility in clothing choices even if you opt for tights later.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because as a mere male, the idea of delaying before showering hasn't occurred to me?
Also the rest of my family strongly encourage me to exit their presence and make myself smell nice as quickly as possible for some reason...^_^
do you get that smelly in only 10 miles in winter?!
Maybe treat yourself to a can/stick of Sure ;)

Sharky

Guru
As above for the clothing recommendations.
Re 10 miles per day. Better to vary some of the distances and build in rest days each week. If you ride the same intensity every day you will reach a plateau both in terms of fitness levels and enthusiasm.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
do you get that smelly in only 10 miles in winter?!
Maybe treat yourself to a can/stick of Sure ;)

Well *I* don't think I do, but my family apparently have delicate noses...
(I do set off fully deodourised, but am really trying to improve my fitness level at the moment, so return sweaty)

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
As above for the clothing recommendations.
Re 10 miles per day. Better to vary some of the distances and build in rest days each week. If you ride the same intensity every day you will reach a plateau both in terms of fitness levels and enthusiasm.

Thanks.

My initial thought was just to try and get my pace up and tolerance of smallish hills over a relatively short distance.
Day 1 was 45 mins and 13.1mph, Day 3 I managed to improve to 43.20 and 13.6mph. So small gains :bicycle:
Once I can do the route at 15mph I intend to start varying it a bit.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just bought these running tracky bottoms last week - www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-football-bottoms-t100/_/R-p-309989
Only £12.99 and seem perfect replacements to the previous ones which have suffered accidental irreparable damage since being bought 3-4 years ago.

Snug, non-flapping fit without being as indecently tight as running tights :eek:. Also perfectly slim at the ankle to avoid chainring catches.
Tried on a couple of rides already and love em so will be buying a couple more asap.

Top Bottom