Winter/Commuting Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Greetings all,

What suggestions do people have for a puncture resistant tyre for my Triban 3? Preferably costing under £25 each. I got my first puncture last week, and looking at my tyres I could probably do with some more durable ones, as these ones look like they're suffering a bit!

Thanks everyone :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
plant x have good deals on at mo if any are left

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
If you are commuting as your sole mode of transport over the winter then the hardcore choice within your budget has to be Durano Plus (these can be had in 23 or 25mm)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHWALBE-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27c78d78f0

or the heavyweight hardcore 25mm marathons...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item416b5112da

Or if its commuting on good days and winter runs out I would go for Michelin pro 4 endurance.

(Links just to illustrate, web surfing should get you better prices)

EDIT: check clearence for guards if you go for 25s.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
I'm doing it every day but also going on 40 mile rides on weekends (commute is 4.5 miles). I don't want to slow down my weekend rides too much so I'm thinking the endurance 4s might be the way to go...

What does everyone reckon?

Thanks again :smile:

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Having had no punctures in over 3000 miles using Marathon Plus tyres on my old commuter (Ridgeback Flight 01, 700x25c) I decided to stick with Schwalbe and have fitted Durano Plus as mentioned above (wired version, "London" limited edition) to my Trek Madone.

Yes, they're a few hundred grams heavier than the stock tyres, but – rightly or wrongly – I've got into the position that I trust that special blue rubber under the tread to prevent unscheduled deflations on the commute (14+ miles each way). The marginal weight increase isn't noticeable at all so doesn't impact on longer, weekend rides, plus I reckon that they feel better than the Marathon Plus did... not sure what it is, but a bit grippier maybe? To me, they feel more sure-footed in the wet than the M+ did, and they were much easier to fit :whistle:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've got these on my Triban 3:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-tyre-id40573.html
I've found them very good in terms of puncture resistance.
[Edit] Incidentally I got my first puncture on the original equipment Triban tyres in four days. The Bontrager tyres have done almost a year with no punctures.

Very good tyre indeed. Puncture resistant, reasonably fast and durable. Though I've bought some Vittoria randonneur to replace my ageing Bonty's.

Matt1705

Über Member
I've just ordered myself a durano plus :-)

rb58

Enigma
Gatorskins come off my 'best' bike for the winter - too skitty in the wet for me. Durano Plus on.

M+ on the all weather Audax bike. On my second set (first set worn through) and not a single puncture. It's a big tyre though and 25 is the smallest size, so you'll need to check clearances.

I've also used Bontrager Hardcases in the past and found them good too.

Thomk

Guru
I've got these on my Triban 3:
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-tyre-id40573.html
I've found them very good in terms of puncture resistance.
[Edit] Incidentally I got my first puncture on the original equipment Triban tyres in four days. The Bontrager tyres have done almost a year with no punctures.
Yep agree with that. Had hardcases on for 2.5k miles now and no holes or problems. Used on commute and weekend rides and sportives. They are an absolute bargain at about £25 a pair.

redcard

Veteran
Gatorskins come off my 'best' bike for the winter - too skitty in the wet for me. Durano Plus on.

M+ on the all weather Audax bike. On my second set (first set worn through) and not a single puncture. It's a big tyre though and 25 is the smallest size, so you'll need to check clearances.

I've also used Bontrager Hardcases in the past and found them good too.

I've lost all faith in Gatorskins and am switching to Durano's next week. Had 3-4 close calls in the last few weeks, and really don't trust them in the wet.

Robwiz

Regular
Marathon Plus have never let me down, which is the most important thing for a winter tyre in my view.

They're a bit heavy for a road bike, but that's no bad thing as you have to work a bit harder to keep up your usual speeds. Switching to something lighter in the spring will be all the sweeter!

Top Bottom