Winter/Commuting Tyre Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avsd

Guru
Marathon Plus for me. 100% reliable over two winters. Heavy and awkward to put on but secure and good puncture resistance so worth the effort in my opinion.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Conti CityRides. Good puncture resistance and the front has lasted me 7,000 miles (and still going). I now have a Vittoria from CRC (the cheapest) and it has lasted 2 months so far (about 1,000 miles).

STEPHAN DAVIS

If you are commuting as your sole mode of transport over the winter then the hardcore choice within your budget has to be Durano Plus (these can be had in 23 or 25mm)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHWALBE-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27c78d78f0

or the heavyweight hardcore 25mm marathons...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schwalbe-...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item416b5112da

Or if its commuting on good days and winter runs out I would go for Michelin pro 4 endurance.

(Links just to illustrate, web surfing should get you better prices)

EDIT: check clearence for guards if you go for 25s.

I've got a lovely Tricross :smile: which I'm now commuting to work on everyday. Just wondered if you could recommend a good road tyre for the winter?

lulubel

Über Member
I've used Vittoria Rubino Pros for the last 4 years (including one year of all weather commutes in the dark on Cornish back roads) and haven't had a puncture in that time. They're also relatively light weight as puncture resistant tyres go.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
Schwalbe Blizzard Sports

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sc...3c3043781180369&bpcl=35466521&biw=792&bih=479

£7.50 for a 23 or 33% more for a 25, which I'd recommend.

People get snobby over tyres. Arguing over 2 tyres that cost £35 an end for a race bike, I understand, maybe you're debating wear over grip or something. At £7.50-10.00 an end I have 3 different bikes wearing them and I'm yet to puncture. That's £80 to kit out 3 bikes. 'Better' tyres could have cost £150-230.

I don't doubt that a GP4000s or such may offer small gains, but in terms of simple, get on, ride and forget, the blizzards take some beating.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Marathon Plus have never let me down, which is the most important thing for a winter tyre in my view.

They're a bit heavy for a road bike, but that's no bad thing as you have to work a bit harder to keep up your usual speeds. Switching to something lighter in the spring will be all the sweeter!

+1 fit and forget tyres, wouldn't commute on anything else!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another +1 for the Durano Plus. Have sets on both roadies, the front on the Viner's done well over 4k miles and still going strong (I killed the rear because I ran it underinflated for quite a while. Didn't puncture though!).

STEPHAN DAVIS

I went into my LBS today to get their advice about some new tyres. Told me not to bother and to wait till the spring as the tyres I'm already running are perfect for winter in his opinion. What a refreshing change to get some good honest advice. :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
Schwalbe Blizzard Sports

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=schwalbe blizzard sport&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:ohmy:fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=r06&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:ohmy:fficial&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&q=schwalbe blizzard sport spa cycles&oq=schwalbe blizzard sport spa cycles&gs_l=serp.3...15930.17603.1.17731.11.11.0.0.0.0.85.565.11.11.0...0.0...1c.1.cNixtu1cz6g&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=63c3043781180369&bpcl=35466521&biw=792&bih=479

£7.50 for a 23 or 33% more for a 25, which I'd recommend.

People get snobby over tyres. Arguing over 2 tyres that cost £35 an end for a race bike, I understand, maybe you're debating wear over grip or something. At £7.50-10.00 an end I have 3 different bikes wearing them and I'm yet to puncture. That's £80 to kit out 3 bikes. 'Better' tyres could have cost £150-230.

I don't doubt that a GP4000s or such may offer small gains, but in terms of simple, get on, ride and forget, the blizzards take some beating.

I think (for most of us normal cyclists) you're right.

More and more I get deep into cycling the more and more I see paralells with [serious] car ownership. Lots of foam when people talk about parts/kit with little understanding of the differences.

Thomk

Guru
Got to agree with this. Use 28's on my Tricross commuter all year round. Generally find they fall apart before the fairy gets to them.
What sort of miles to you get before they fall apart? I've done 2.5k so far on mine. No holes but one had a side wall gash from a fall and might need replacing soon.

ACS

Legendary Member
What sort of miles to you get before they fall apart? I've done 2.5k so far on mine. No holes but one had a side wall gash from a fall and might need replacing soon.

Never taken note of the actual distance covered but I commute about 4500 miles per year and probably change them both every 10 months or so.
Been using them for over 4 years now on both my commuter and my winter hack.

Excellent VFM and stocked by the LBS just over the road from the office. :-)

Edwards80

Über Member
Personal experience says steer clear of the Schwalbe Blizzard sports. I had 2 and the sidewalls failed in an almost identical way after 500 miles or so each. Might have been a bad batch. Not taking the risk though :S

Top Bottom