Winter Cycling 1962

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That should be compulsory viewing for every sportive entrant. How to ride in a disciplined group without looking like a bomb has gone off in the middle of it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Paulus said:
Great video, not a sloping crossbar on sight.

That's something I notice as the most obvious difference between stuff built up to the 1990's compared to now. Weird trend, IMHO, overly-small sloping-top frames combined with overly long seatposts. Why not just have a frame size that more-or-less fits the rider to begin with, and then the saddle height just becomes fine tuning?.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's something I notice as the most obvious difference between stuff built up to the 1990's compared to now. Weird trend, IMHO, overly-small sloping-top frames combined with overly long seatposts. Why not just have a frame size that more-or-less fits the rider to begin with, and then the saddle height just becomes fine tuning?.
Bike frames have to suit everyone from five foot nothing to six foot plus. There is much more leeway on frame size with a sloping top tube that a horizontal, a far smaller range of sizes are needed to fit all comers. It makes both manufacturing and buying much simpler.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Those clothes! How old fashioned they are, yet at the same time, there is something quite familiar about them. Did my first club run just 4 years after that 1962 film was made and it was still the norm then.
Still pretty much wear that today, myself. I'm no walking advertisement for lycra, though. Need for support hose, which makes trousers a better choice, etc. McLean County Wheelers, some know me as socks, or flat cap, as Mrs. GA found out when looking for me on the course one day.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Bike frames have to suit everyone from five foot nothing to six foot plus. There is much more leeway on frame size with a sloping top tube that a horizontal, a far smaller range of sizes are needed to fit all comers. It makes both manufacturing and buying much simpler.
Reminds me of my Facet Biotour 2000, a large car parts company (Fram) relabeled itself as Facet for a time, and somebody thought it a good idea to have a crack at making bicycles. So they went to a cycle maker in Chatsworth California, who made Scorpion BMX, and asked them to make a few frames for them. Mine is a 65cm frame, and from the numbers of frames sold, and the final distribution(mostly to company employees) I'm surprised they went to the trouble of making an XL sized frame. I don't think there were many, and mines' the only one that size I've seen, ever. Must have cost them far to much too pursue this venture.

Top Bottom