Winter Fitness: Turbo or Rollers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not getting as many miles as I want at present due to the current icy road conditions. Considering one of the above. Not had experience of either so wonder which type is best overall and why. Also, what makes/models to consider. Thanks for any help.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Im loving my turbo at the moment. I did consider rollers but wanted to be able to do properly targeted intervals which is a lot more accurate on a turbo. do you have a price limit?and what sort of things do you want to do on it?

There are masses of options from cheap jobs to full VR objects of desire. I have a qubo wireless which has a power meter in it and its amazing.

lulubel

Über Member
There are masses of options from cheap jobs to full VR objects of desire.

I have a VR object of desire, and I'd rather ride in the rain. (I hate riding in the rain with a passion, by the way!) Mine is a Tacx iMagic, and it was fun at first, but the novelty soon wore off.

If you can stand the boredom, or you have specific training goals in mind (as Matt has), then a turbo is probably OK, but I've seen a lot of people saying rollers are more interesting and more realistic in the sense that you have to balance as well as ride.

MattHB

Proud Daddy

anything tacx is good quality and will do the job of busting up your legs very well.

I have a VR object of desire, and I'd rather ride in the rain. (I hate riding in the rain with a passion, by the way!) Mine is a Tacx iMagic, and it was fun at first, but the novelty soon wore off.

If you can stand the boredom, or you have specific training goals in mind (as Matt has), then a turbo is probably OK, but I've seen a lot of people saying rollers are more interesting and more realistic in the sense that you have to balance as well as ride.

this is totally true. EVERYONE that I know prefers rollers over turbo's but it depends on what you want out of it.

If youre going to bust yourself on a turbo you need to create some kind of turbo-den. I have large speakers, iPad linked to 24inch monitor and my movie media server so I can immerse myself in horror/action/violent/sufferfest movies in the garage to distract my brain from all the bad things happening from the waist down!! A lot of people call it these types of places 'torture chambers'. :boxing:

I had one, it did what you expect. Build quality was fine.

If you go through with buying any turbo though I'd seriously buy 2nd hand, due to the amount for sale there are always bargains to be had, although obviously prices will be stronger through the winter.

I sold it though as I'd rather ride in a blizzard than use any form of turbo set up TBH

I've recently moved into a flat from my parents house so I bought rollers and left my turbo at my parents. I'm favouring the rollers at the moment, quieter, less fuss to set up and more interesting IMO. Mine are Elite Arions (I chose these ones because I thought they'd be less cumbersome to store/ carry/ setup etc and I was right :thumbsup:). Although I'd still rather be outdoors than use any indoor trainer!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I just have a Crono Elite. Nothing special but I'm getting good workouts on it. Decent music or a vid like Sufferfest helps a lot.

I would like to try rollers - but not done so yet.

defy-one

I'm not convinced by rollers and turbos just yet. why not do other exercise those days the weather is really bad?
i didn't get out on the bike this weekend so do some floor exercises, weights and interval training on my treadmill.
not criticising just wondering :smile:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Depends what you want to achieve.

If you want to maintain/improve your cycling fitness - you need to be doing cycling activities.

I also have a vr object of desire, Tacx fortius and love it to bits, no need to get wet, no need to layer up, no traffic or road condition worries. I can either ride against real life and time opponents, try and beat my own time up the stelvio or ventoux or just sit on it for an hour and enjoy reliving anyone of dozens of passes on the route Napolean, either way you get a structured ride with no hassle. Just add good music, a large fan, a towel and plenty of liquid.

Markymark13

I'm not convinced by rollers and turbos just yet. why not do other exercise those days the weather is really bad?
i didn't get out on the bike this weekend so do some floor exercises, weights and interval training on my treadmill.
not criticising just wondering :smile:

I cant stand running, as the constant pounding effect hurts me knees. Don't mind doing some weights every now and again though. For me, the turbo was an idea to still be able to cycle and keep the fitness up when it is icy outside.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's also much easier to jump on the trainer for an hour than go out if you have a really limited time slot. Also, for me at least with a 7mnth pregnant OH I can be on hand to help in seconds if I'm just in the garage.

And (not having a PM on the bike) I have no other way of doing targeted power training sessions (yet). Even with a bike mounted PM I'd not be able to hold a constant wattage on the road like you can on a trainer. But these reasons are highly specific to me.

It's also much easier to jump on the trainer for an hour.
It is if you have the motivation, and therein lies the problem with turbo's IME, (and presumably rollers although never used those).

I've even had a laptop set up so I can watch films, participate in virtual spinning classes or any other virtual involvement method you can think of, but for me nothing escapes the fact that I'm sat in my shed, in the semi dark, sweating like a whatsit, with extension leads all over the pace and a ruddy great fan blowing in my face. Just the thought of it makes my teeth itch.

I've tried turbo's 3 or 4 times now, and unless I could afford an absolute fully interactive one that I could have in the house I will never waste a penny more on another one, but even then I suspect the novelty aspect aspect will far outweigh the reality of peddling indoors.

To each their own though.

My experiences while agreed with by many, will not be agreed with by all, and TBH I wouldn't have it any other way :thumbsup:

Top Bottom