Winter gear...bib-3/4's or bib longs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Guys n gals
What do you reckon, bib 3/4 length or longs?
Judging from the dhb selections here (I like their Bib-shorts that I have) it seems that there are only a few inches of material to choose between the two.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProducts.aspx?categoryName=Tights - Cycle&cat=Cycle

What's the story? What are the pro's and cons?

Am thinking....fleecy 3/4's but willing to be swayed by experience...

Noodley

I depends if you are quite happy having a red/blue bit of leg. Which is invariably what happens if it is really cold and the 1/4 bit which is missing catches the cold, rain, grit, stones, etc.

I use 3/4 for autumn/mild winter days and early spring (and some of this summer). Longs for winter. Although I do also sometimes use shorts in winter, but I'm hard me so I am. :biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

I am going to need the long ones...boy am I ever going to look ridiculous in those bibs...lucky they have a custom cut for poking th ebelly out of though!:biggrin:

...actually I would like to thank you ...due to this thread I just measured my waiste size. I have lost 8 inches off my waiste since taking up cycling in the spring!

Nicko

I used the DHB 3/4s in the winter before last and liked them a lot, though ended up shrinking a bit with a number of washes. Last winter ended up using shorts with knee warmers and longs on the coldest days. You shins go blue but you don't feel it as much...

Blue

Legendary Member
I used dhb 3/4's for all mild days during last winter and found them excellent. I also used some quite long merino wool socks from M&S which I could pull up if I wanted to give the ankles a bit of cover. The system worked well. However, I used a pair of full tights for the colder days.

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Good Info Mr Noodley Sir, Thanks.
Trust you're well and had a good Summer.

Yes I've had quite a good summer, apart from the crud weather. Managed to achieve what I had set out to do ride-wise, and have a few more planned. Thanks for asking. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Summer: shorts
Autumn/spring: 3/4
Winter: thin cycling tights + an ancient pair of old fashioned long-johns bought 12yrs ago from M&S underneath! I kid you not... comfortable and v. toasty on a frosty morn!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
for my commute it tends to be shorts with legwarmers on/in rucksack, depending on the weather.

if i find they spend no more time in the bag then the tights come out.

if it's really cold (and i mean really cold) the bib tights i got from aldi last year get used.

Top Bottom