Winter gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I was out the other day on my bike after about 3-4 weeks on holiday, and let me say, its not as warm as i thought it would be!

So basically would be looking for a winter cycling kit which is reasonably priced etc, what should i be looking for and what would you suggest?

Also thinking about tyres, I've got a Boardman Hybrid Comp and will be looking to get winter tyres (something with more grip), 700c tyres, anybody used anything that stands out?

DWiggy

Über Member
I rode through last winter and the clobber needed although reasonably priced still cost a fortune, but everything listed was essential for me to commute the 10 miles to and fro work in all conditions

For Me

For The Bike
  • Crud MK2 great for keeping most of the water off your shoes and back (Although they don't fit me new bike)
  • Moon XP300 front light for unlit country roads (USB Chargeable god send for the perpetual winter darkness)
  • Cherrybomb rear light (Generally get a nice wide pass from cars with this little beauty)
  • Secondary generic rear light (Just in case)
  • 23 Gatorskins tyres these tyres have not let me down for over 4k milies

Hope this helps!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
What sort of riding are you looking to do? I dress differently for my 35 minute 12 mile dash to work than I do for a couple of hours on a Sunday?
Either way most of my kit is Lidls/ Aldi as it gets to wet/ cruddy/ washed so often I just can't afford to anything posher if I'll only get a few seasons out of it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cyclesurgery have got a good sale on clothing

In proper cold (<5 deg), I use padded tights and if cold unpadded over the top; a LS cycling/running top, a thermo jersey (mine are altura) and an Altura Night vision jacket. Plus a buff, a skull cap under helmet and some winter gloves

It's not cold now, running top and light gilet and 3/4 knickers and mitts for me this morning, was warm when the sun came out!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
[QUOTE 2638680, member: 45"]Decathlon. Lidl. Aldi. There's still some Lidl stuff milling around in stores.
.[/quote]
They both do compression base layers later in the year, i found them great for winter base layers with a L/S top + gilet i was warm enough .
For leggings i use either running tights over normal shorts or if its nippy then look at ron hill bikesters as they have a high cut back to keep the chill off .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RONHILL-B...s_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item3cce5654ed

cyberknight

Cyclesurgery have got a good sale on clothing

In proper cold (<-5 deg), I use padded tights and if cold unpadded over the top; a LS cycling/running top, a thermo jersey (mine are altura) and an Altura Night vision jacket. Plus a buff, a skull cap under helmet and some winter gloves

It's not cold now, running top and light gilet and 3/4 knickers and mitts for me this morning, was warm when the sun came out!
edited for accuracy:laugh:
cold enough for arm and leg warmers and gilet at 6am on the back roads with chilly mist blowing across the lanes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't do less than 5 deg...that's why I have a car with a heater ;)

cyberknight

I don't do less than 5 deg...that's why I have a car with a heater ;)
You girl :laugh:... yes i am being funny !
I know plenty on here have done colder but my "record" is - 10 a few winters back.
2 base layers
l/s sleeve jersey
windproof
winter gloves with liners
2 buffs
shorts
leg warmers
ron hill bikesters
overshoes
:cold:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Can the Mods please apply an instant ban to all the posters above, it's too early to talk about winter :stop:
The best time to buy for winter is when it's not winter- hence looking to start stocking up for next years summer gear over the next few weeks- I'm happy to wear 'last seasons' stuff.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Get yourself some decent padded tights. I wore looser fitting Ron Hill(born in Accrington:thumbsup:)leggings for years but they weren't warm enough. Also buy some decent overshoes,the winter boots are expensive compared to decent overshoes over your normal shoes. Proper winter cycling gloves are better than woolen ones as they grip a lot more, they usually have reflective bits, and they are more water resistant than natural fibre.

OP
OP
J

JKility

Regular
Well I've got to do a 4 mile commute each way in the mornings, so 8 miles, shell we say. I was thinking of getting some leggings of some description and then a long sleve jersey. I know for a fact that gloves are going to be essential no matter what.... I rode my mountain bike for about 5mins last year winter and well I couldent feel my fingers, I've always wore ski-ing gloves but to be honest their to big and make it a real hastle to change gear etc, being the first winter I've rode my hybrid I think its time to look at cycling gloves, Im going to see what we got at Halfords seeing as i can get my discount, but I know some of the stuff we stock is appsolute rubbish.... but if anyone has suggestions

cyberknight

Well I've got to do a 4 mile commute each way in the mornings, so 8 miles, shell we say. I was thinking of getting some leggings of some description and then a long sleve jersey. I know for a fact that gloves are going to be essential no matter what.... I rode my mountain bike for about 5mins last year winter and well I couldent feel my fingers, I've always wore ski-ing gloves but to be honest their to big and make it a real hastle to change gear etc, being the first winter I've rode my hybrid I think its time to look at cycling gloves, Im going to see what we got at Halfords seeing as i can get my discount, but I know some of the stuff we stock is appsolute rubbish.... but if anyone has suggestions
Looking at these for my MTB/hybrid this winter to keep the wind chill off, i know you can get fantastic gloves but i suffer with raynauds, i had full finger gloves and toe covers on today .
http://www.breezeblockers.com/buy/activetornado.php

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You are obviously a bunch of shandy drinking southerners :rolleyes:. I wear a short sleeve top and shorts in winter rather than in the summer where it`s a vest top and shorts :whistle:. Winter is just a slightly colder version of summer up on Gods country :smile:

Top Bottom