Winter Gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
I've got an altura nightvision jacket - it's very boil in the bag and doesn't feel fully waterproof either.

Also have some neoprene shoe covers

What gear would you recommend for winter road riding? I generally run quite warm

vickster

Legendary Member
Layers
Good quality waterproofs and windproofs do not come cheap. The best waterproof jackets seem to be around £200 For example

Joffey

Big Dosser
Castelli Alpha Jacket. I think they still make one. Expensive but it's the best item of cycling clothing I've ever purchased. It's 4 years old and still going strong.

Dhb kit is excellent.

I have the all winter jacket but it's too warm for all but the coldest winter days.
Last couple of winters I've worn my equinox thermal jacket more.

Add a gilet and if you can stretch to it a shakedry waterproof jacket and you'll be fine til summer.

si_c

Guru
I don't use a winter jacket as I get too hot. Merino base layer and long sleeve Jersey do me fine. Keep a castelli squadra jacket in case it rains.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I find the way to minimise sweatiness inside a rain-jacket is to remove at least one layer prior to donning it. If you just add another layer, let alone a windproof layer, you'll get too hot.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Layers as said , i rarely wear a windproof even mid winter and more as a keep the rain off layer um;ss its sub zero .
Mid winter i have a ss base layer with armwarmers ( i dont have long sleeve base layers ) , winter LS jersey with fleecy lining and a gilet , lower half i wear summer shorts with fleecy bib tights.
Overshoes , winter gloves and a buff and im sorted .
last sunday i did a ride that started off at 4.5 c and i just took a base layer. arm+ legwarmers, gilet and toe covers and 2 thing pairs of gloves so i could strip off as it warmed up .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree that comfort and waterproof combined come at a price... I've had cheaper waterproofs from Altura when I was commuting and they were alright if sweaty. I've had Decathlon stuff too, again it was okay for the price but not stellar.
I currently have the Showers Pass Elite jacket for touring which is really super, but they're getting on for 200 quid. I'm not sure there's an inexpensive jacket that is all that good.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
I love a "bargain" but sometimes it just feels like a waste of money - I think my altura rain jacket was £50 and it just doesn't work. Makes me sweaty, not sure it's actually fully waterproof, and doesn't pack down very well.

Not sure if I'll ever really be commuting again, so I need to get my kit up to scratch so I don't have any excuses as we go into winter....

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Just bought a Perfetto , seems quite good in the water proof front ? Defo more an Autumn/Winter jacket albeit it will be getting worn tomorrow morning.

How much did you get it for? Finding it hard to compare prices because it jumps all over the place based on colour, size etc.

I find the way to minimise sweatiness inside a rain-jacket is to remove at least one layer prior to donning it. If you just add another layer, let alone a windproof layer, you'll get too hot.
Sounds so simple, doesn't it? But amazing how many people blame the "boil-in-the-bag" problem, when in fact they're just wearing too much stuff!
(you get the same with hill-walkers)

My related tip is to only put a waterproof layer on when you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. If it's just light drizzle, be optimistic!
I can't understand peeps wearing a waterproof 24x7 for 6 months of the year.

Top Bottom