Winter Gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I get very hot very quickly so will be soaked with sweat even on a cold day if wearing anything water or wind proof. A backpack will make anything I'm wearing saturated within minutes. The answer is to ignore raingear as i'll be wet through whether I wear it or not... Windproof jacket is essential in dead of winter though otherwise I'd freeze after a 5 minute stop.

cycling waterproof jackets are generally a rip off. A decent walking jacket is half the price and twice the quality. Alas I do like that rear pocket. I generally wear a Musto hunting jacket if its cold enough otherwise any decent walking jacket. I carry a thin fleece. I am nearly always getting off to walk dog in various woods etc.
The most important piece of kit nobody has mentioned upto now is obviously spikes. I now have two Santos travelmasters, one will as usual have spikes on all winter the other will have mountain bike tyres on all year round. The ice spikers are excellent off road just like mountain bike tyres But the studs start to turn in by the end of the year. So I will swap bikes when I think the weather suits. The electric bike has studs through out the winter and they will only last one winter unless i use the bike sparingly. I will endeavour to do so this year. PS the Musto jackets tend to me baggy and I don't normally get overaly hot anyway. Wind resistance leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
How much did you get it for? Finding it hard to compare prices because it jumps all over the place based on colour, size etc.

I bagged mine on eBay basically band new and at the time was the up town date edition. A bonus was it's the convertible one. Only paid about £40.

Most waterproofs should only be worn in rain. When it is dry or just spitting a windproof is far more breathable.
My winter jacket is a Paramo which is good for wet or dry but is quite warm.

Footwear is the biggest problem for cyclists. I havent found a good solution for foul weather that doesnt involve several different layers.

I think waterproof cycling jackets are to sweaty because they are to tight fitting. If you are happy with a bit wind resistance then you would probably not have the sweat problems.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most waterproofs should only be worn in rain. When it is dry or just spitting a windproof is far more breathable.
My winter jacket is a Paramo which is good for wet or dry but is quite warm.

Footwear is the biggest problem for cyclists. I havent found a good solution for foul weather that doesnt involve several different layers.

Agreed, good softshell is all you need until it's bouncing it down.

BBB PU Hardwear Overshoes are very good. In heavy rain, I'd use overtrousers - yep a bit hot, but they kept my shoes dry. I've switched to waterproof MTB boots for wet weather now. Still get some water running down leg/tights and into shoe, but feet warm.

I would like winter footwear with waterproof trail shoe like upper with a fixed waterproof , unpadded high boot/gaiter that would funnel water outside not inside.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
How much did you get it for? Finding it hard to compare prices because it jumps all over the place based on colour, size etc.
£130 of the bay of thieves . Was brand new in a sealed bag. I would have paid a bit more and bought online but no sizes available in any colour !

Top Bottom