Winter gloves recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spam_hamish

Hallo all - I'm a newbie here, was just wondering if anyone has good recommendations for winter gloves?

I've been making a ~40min commute to work over the summer, and so far it's been grand! (Apparently it never rains in England now?) But I have started to notice it getting a bit chilly in the evenings, so I figure I probably need to upgrade my current fingerless gloves for something a bit warmer.

My issue is my hands are generally pretty warm, so I'm not sure quite what to get. Ideally something with a windproof layer on the back of the hand, but with mesh/ thinner fabric between the fingers. That way I can spread my fingers to get some air in to cool down, or keep them together to stay warmer. Do gloves like that even exist though?

I figure I may get some warmer gloves later in the season if it gets properly cold, but for now just something that keeps the wind out but otherwise isn't too warm would be great.

Thanks for any help!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Full finger summer MTB gloves do me till it gets below zero. Need to get some more actually.

OP
OP
spam_hamish

spam_hamish

I use Neoprene divers gloves or Seal Skinz.
Thanks drago - I tried some seal skinz in halfords but they seemed they'd be too warm for me. I think I just need something that keeps the wind out, but has option for ventilation when you need it. Not saying I won't change my mind if it gets properly cold later on in winter of course!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My SealSkinz winter gloves are entirely useless. They are not waterproof and are impossible to turn the right way out once you have taken them off.
Avoid this brand at all costs.

Hyslop

Veteran
I got a pair of the Prendas lightweight,long finger gloves last back end and found that I was wearing them a lot further into Winter than I had anticipated simply because they did the job of keeping me warm and affording me a good grip of the bars.They are,it must be said, more the thickness of a liner glove with a grippy palm and a long cuff,all the same I was impressed and they remain the gloves I go for when the chilly days arrive.For colder days I use a pair of Pearl Izumi medium weight,fairly expensive,well made and they do the job certainly but Im inclined to think that they are rather more style than substance.For what it may be worth I too find Sealskinz to be poor quality overall,the construction of the glove is generally shoddy and the price is far too high for my liking.

400bhp

Guru
You need 3 seasons of gloves.

Summer - fingerless
Autumn/spring - thin full finger gloves
winter - full winter gloves.

I've used seasons above but in reality it's more to do with temps. For me, summer is above 12 deg, autumn is about 3 to 12 and winter is below 3.

Drago

Legendary Member
My SealSkinz winter gloves are entirely useless. They are not waterproof and are impossible to turn the right way out once you have taken them off.
Avoid this brand at all costs.
mine are 6 years old and are still waterproof. I've had no trouble with the lining turning inside out, except after they'd been through the washing machine, took a few days to get them comfy again. I'd have another pair, although I've discovered divers gloves are cheaper and equally warm.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Once it heads below 10C, I use some full finger Raceface MTB gloves. They keep much more wind out than you might think without being too hot. Once it's a bit colder I'll have a go with the Castelli Diluvio Deluxe neoprene jobs. Got them in a sale for half price, they are awesome!

potsy

Rambler
Summer mitts with a pair of liner gloves underneath do me in Autumn (8-12c weather)
Below that it's the full winter gloves, Aldi cheapos or if it's wet and cold the Goretex ones, toasty warm.

This year have bought some 'lobster' gloves to try, not convinced they'll do the job but will try them out when it gets a bit cooler.

Top Bottom