Winter Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm wearing Sealskinz all weather at the moment. As it gets colder I'll add silk liners and a pair of thin running gloves underneath. What do you call cycle-able? On the coldest days of last year's winter I was just about warm enough. I reckon I could have gone up to a number 4 just then but they'd be too warm for right now.

sanddancer

I was in local aldi yesterday and they had stacks of winter gloves left. They had the pro bib tights reduced to £20 but none in my size :sad:
Never thought to look at the price of the gloves as I have two pair, these were thick lined like one pair I have but even full price of about £4 is a bargain. i should of just bought a pair and some more socks as they were down a quid :biggrin:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My one gripe with Aldi gloves is that the lining is quite loose inside, not so much that it bothers me in use but it tends to come with me when I pull my fingers out of the gloves, particularly if a bit sweaty (they are VERY warm and too much for this time of year IMO) and cn make putting them back on again if still damp a bit of chore.

all told though they are far warmer and equally as comfortable as sealskin ones I have costing £20 more.

sanddancer

My one gripe with Aldi gloves is that the lining is quite loose inside, not so much that it bothers me in use but it tends to come with me when I pull my fingers out of the gloves, particularly if a bit sweaty (they are VERY warm and too much for this time of year IMO) and cn make putting them back on again if still damp a bit of chore.

all told though they are far warmer and equally as comfortable as sealskin ones I have costing £20 more.

Yes the aldi ones I have are like that. Very thick double skinned. I haven't used them yet.
the other pair are lidl ones and single skin with weather proof. I'm using them for my commute and are very good.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sealskinz are £30 pieces of sh1te, and they aren't waterproof. Get down to Lidl and buy their £5 ski gloves, far warmer. OK, they aren't waterproof either, but you will have £25 in your pocket to buy some other stuff. Lidl fillet steak is quite good and the wine isn't bad. When the salesman in the bike shop tells you that Sealskinz are used by the SAS, tell him to stow them where the sun don't shine.

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
I agree, twelve months in with my Sealskins and I still have warm, dry hands and fingers. Well worth the money IMO.
Sealskinz.
Definitely NOT the freebies which tempted me into buying Cycling Plus for the first (and last) time a couple of weeks ago. Straight into the bin was the verdict on them; absolute junk. The magazine followed them a short time later .......

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Sealskinz are £30 pieces of sh1te, and they aren't waterproof. Get down to Lidl and buy their £5 ski gloves, far warmer. OK, they aren't waterproof either, but you will have £25 in your pocket to buy some other stuff. Lidl fillet steak is quite good and the wine isn't bad. When the salesman in the bike shop tells you that Sealskinz are used by the SAS, tell him to stow them where the sun don't shine.
My first pair of SS were like that, I returned them as faulty and got a 2nd pair, just as bad. I asked for my money back, they told me they'd identified the problem and sent me a 3rd pair which have been very good and do what they promise. But yes at a lot more than comparably good gloves from the discount supermarket sector.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
My first pair of SS were like that, I returned them as faulty and got a 2nd pair, just as bad. I asked for my money back, they told me they'd identified the problem and sent me a 3rd pair which have been very good and do what they promise. But yes at a lot more than comparably good gloves from the discount supermarket sector.
Any idea what that fault was and which version of the glove that effected? I dont know whether to go neoprene now, like the Castelli dulivio

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Any idea what that fault was and which. Edison of the glove that effected? I do t know whether to go neoprene now, like the Castelli dulivio
Edison?

No idea what the problem was , but i suspect they'd made a batch but forgotten the waterproofing layer as they let water through like a fishing net and SS seemed very quick to accept my complaints so I guessed I wasn't the first complaining.

Personally I think neoprene is OTT for riding but I imagine you'd not have a worry with some of those.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I've used the Aldi gloves on two soaking commutes so far, and I can confirm they are waterproof. They are also very warm, too warm for the mild Autumn, and got quite wet inside from sweat. After two soakings, they absolutely ming I now stuff a paper towel inside each one when I get home and this dries them out ok.

I find my specialized defroster cold weather gloves a little thick making gear shifting on my road bike a tad awkward. I prefer to wear a pair of silk liner gloves under my Specialized Deflect wind proof gloves. I have ridden below freezing and find this combination works great.
Jasmine silk liner gloves can be bought on eBay for less than a fiver delivered, alternatively decathlon for £6 ish.

Another vote for silk liners, they make a huge difference for very little bulk. They also give you the option that if things get warmer you can just pocket the liners.

Top Bottom