Winter gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fintious

Hi al, looking for some advice and recommendations for winter riding gloves. I have a condition called Reynauds which restricts the circulation to my hands and feet and when they get cold (particularly my hands) they become painful. I usually stop riding in winter but am intent on seeing it through this year. Are neoprene any good?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Hi al, looking for some advice and recommendations for winter riding gloves. I have a condition called Reynauds which restricts the circulation to my hands and feet and when they get cold (particularly my hands) they become painful. I usually stop riding in winter but am intent on seeing it through this year. Are neoprene any good?

I also get raynauds and use heated liners from these people. Expensive but the dogs doodahs.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/gloves

My favourite gloves are crab claw ones from planetx- cheap, effective and hard wearing.

And a recommendation to use liner gloves - surprisingly effective in improving insulation and also makes it much easier to put on winter gloves with Raynauds when your fingers are so clammy you can't pull normal gloves on at all.

DRM

Guru
I find them to work well, but, the reason they work well is they trap perspiration from your hands and keep them warm, however they do fit better than padded gloves so make it easier to change gear.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
It's worth having a search of old threads on here. We've talked about Raynauds before.

Last year I invested in some wrist warmers designed for horse riders. I really liked them as it kept my pulse points warm, especially when taking off gloves for locking up the bike, buying train tickets, etc. I thought they were expensive at the time but they were well worth the money.

Big John

Guru
Once you've solved the cold hands problem you'll be looking at how to keep your feet warm. I tried all sorts over the years but thick socks and cycling boots (I've got Shimano ones) seem to work ok. If it gets really cold I put my overshoes over the boots. Double insulation. Makes riding in winter bearable. Can't tell you the number of times in the past I've got back, got in the shower and the pain as everything thaws out was unreal. There are solutions out there - it's just finding them 👍

my feet are the weakest link. I like gloves tho. a lot. just reading about them gets me triggered. it's like showing an alcoholic a photo of a bar

anyone else a fan of barmitts? I know they're ugly & offer wind drag, but with them, one can wear less on the hands

before the mitts go on I start using various gloves depending on weather
after the mitts go on, the glove choices change

some of the gloves I use in rotation (apologies for the US Amazon links)

Pearl Izumi - Ride Pro AMFIB Lobster Gloves

Pearl Izumi - Ride Men's Elite Softshell Glove

Vgo 3M Thinsulate C40 Lined Pigskin Leather Cold Storage Safety Working Gloves

View: https://youtu.be/f88q6x9IRm0

these were a surprising find & actually get a lot of use. 1st bought a pair at a gas station. terrific in the Fall by themself or in the dead of winter under barmitts:

Wincraft NFL Mechanical/Gardening/Work/Utility Glove

these are the barmitts I use, 1 set for the drop bar road bike, the other set for the hybrid & MTB. easy to swap between bikes

Bar Mitts, fits Shimano Shifters with Externally Routed Shift Cables

RockBros Handlebar Mitts with Thick Neoprene 6mm

mitts are particularly good if you never grew up

child.jpg

hope I didn't trigger anyone, I know money is tight :/

Last edited:

AlistairTorquay

A good pair of Ski mittens.

Reactions: mjr

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have tried various gloves over the years and in winter the only thing i fund really works are bar mitts /poggies i have the rock bros ones too and they are great for the money , i have the drop bar ones .
I really need to see the doc again as mines getting worse , i was cutting a cob that mrs ck had out in the fridge and in the few seconds it took holding it my fingers went white :sad:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Once you've solved the cold hands problem you'll be looking at how to keep your feet warm. I tried all sorts over the years but thick socks and cycling boots (I've got Shimano ones) seem to work ok. If it gets really cold I put my overshoes over the boots. Double insulation. Makes riding in winter bearable. Can't tell you the number of times in the past I've got back, got in the shower and the pain as everything thaws out was unreal. There are solutions out there - it's just finding them 👍
I tend to loosen my laces then wear one pair of thermal socks with a pair of bog standard thickish socks over the top. Plenty warm enough down to a couple of degrees and potentially lower, but I dont go out if there is risk of ice.

Top Bottom