Winter jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

petrea

Regular
Hi all!
The winter is coming :smile: and I'm after a good jacket meant to be used primarily for commuting (but not only). I've never had one so no idea what and where to get one. All those reviews I read, confused me even more. I need a bit of help from you guys. The budget is up to £150.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For best performance vs price I rate Altura.

si_c

Guru
Riding style? (Road bike, hybrid, upright/folding?) Temperature range? What other uses? (Only cycling or general wear?)
Yeah you need to ask yourself these, as well as consider your own physiology, do you get hot when riding for example?

For me, I warm up quite a bit when riding, so I can easily get away with a base layer and long sleeve jersey for the majority of the winter, provided my extremities are taken care of, so consider reserving a portion of your budget for a good set of gloves and overshoes if you don't already have them.

I like my Gore Active jacket, I do a fair bit of off road so one thing I particularly like is you can throw it in the washing machine to clean it , then in the tumble drier to reactivate the water repellent coating. No re-spraying it with stuff. It also does not feel like wearing a plastic bag ie very much like a fabric and is quite warm. Mine is currently 4 years old and going strong. It can take up some room in a rucksack though. Pac a mac style I use a endura pro FS260 race cape as again it does not feel like a bin bag and is excellent at keeping the water out. ( I have the white translucent one in case I have to race in it)

OP
OP
P

petrea

Regular
Riding style? (Road bike, hybrid, upright/folding?) Temperature range? What other uses? (Only cycling or general wear?)
I'm riding a Norco Search A Tiagra 2018 in pretty much any weather. The temperature is between -2 and +18 (roughly). And I sweat a lot if I put a cotton t-shirt on + a cotton hoodie. It's not the best experience to work 8 - 10 am on building site having your back wet and cold.

OP
OP
P

petrea

Regular
I was considering to buy this one https://www.vanillabikes.com/produc...gbvl7KND39YQZX4lnpTOrxPO5BGcYKdMaAl6GEALw_wcB but at this price point I want to be sure there's no better option.

Top Bottom