Winter jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's the first iteration, not V2 but thanks.

Btw, what you guys wear under the jacket to avoid sweat and keep warm? Any special recommendations for legs? I just found out my cotton clothes are the nr 1 enemy when it comes to sweat.
Often a long sleeve running jersey (e.g. Nike miler), then a LS. Thermal cycling jersey, maybe a SS jersey over the top of base layer if v cold

Get a buff too and possibly a running headband for ears

You also need to keep hands and feet warm

U

User6179

Btw, what you guys wear under the jacket to avoid sweat and keep warm? Any special recommendations for legs? I just found out my cotton clothes are the nr 1 enemy when it comes to sweat.

Anything Polyester should do.

I like Paramo as a winter jacket, very breathable, too warm for summer and can handle extended use in torrential rain. The new ones seem to be sized weirdly, so tight under the arms, the lightweight ones don't hold enough of the magic waterproof wax. Pocket access is by some cockamany double zip where you undo the side vent to access the pocket zip. And the colours (my eyes! my eyes!). My old basic Cuzco is still functional but so worn it is for gardening duty. If Paramo made a sensible multi-use winter weight jacket that fitted and was a sensibly light colour rather than baby sick green, it would be worth the cost.

I was considering to buy this one https://www.vanillabikes.com/produc...gbvl7KND39YQZX4lnpTOrxPO5BGcYKdMaAl6GEALw_wcB but at this price point I want to be sure there's no better option.

I have the V1 version and it did me through last winter in temps upto -6. I just wore a merino wool long sleeve jersey underneath in the extreme cold. When it was above 5 degrees I just wore my bibs under. I have not really tested it in very wet conditions, but it is good enough in the brief showers on my 3/4 hour each way commute and kept me warm on longer rides.
After buying this, I have got a lot of other Lusso stuff, it is well made and I like their designs (although the jacket I have is a little shouty in orange, it is ideal for commuting)
Lusso fit very is very much Italian sizing. I have 38" chest and 32" and take a large in their tops but a medium in shorts.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

Polyester hums. Merino is warm when wet but it wicks sweat too. Try and get ethical mulesing friendly merino. Mulesing is an abhorrent practice.

U

User6179

Polyester hums

Some garments made of it definitely hums, a lot of Merino stuff is also part polyester btw

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
+1 for Altura who are bang on the sweet spot for price / quality

Underneath it? I start with a Sondico compression base layer (Sports Direct, frequently on offer) and a cycling jersey - I've got a cheap as chips Ridge thermal l/s cycling jersey from Halfords for £9 and it works just as well as ones costing 4 times the price. I'll add another cycling jersey between them if it's really cold.

@vickster is right about a buff to seal around the neck and some decent gloves. And some decent thermal socks as once your feet get cold on a ride they'll stay cold for the rest of the ride. Consider a cheap pair of overshoes for cold / wet days - you can fit them over trainers if you don't wear cycling shoes.

OP
OP
P

petrea

Regular
Most of you say Altura, but they got like tens of models hahaha. I'll spend some time to read about them.
Consider a cheap pair of overshoes for cold / wet days - you can fit them over trainers if you don't wear cycling shoes.
It may sound silly, but I'm commuting in my Wolverine Harden Gore-Tex boots :smile: . I've got my 2 previous pairs of boots nicked from site (£129 each) forcing me to have them on. Therefore, the weather hasn't been an issue :smile:) Now I'm thinking about a normal pair of trainers as I bought a decent padlock.

So far my choise is a buffed neck merino LS (I won't have to change at work) as base layer for cold days, or a polyester short sleeve t-shirt/jersey. I'll see what jackets Altura got online.

+1 to vickster's suggestion. I've had much luck with a thermal dhb long sleeved jersey a polyester base layer, plus a buff or two right through crisp Autumn mornings and into deep Winter, except in snow or driving rain, when a simple waterproof jacket was necessary over the top to keep some semblance of warmth in and excess moisture out.

It's all about layering.

As for footwear, warm walking boots and thick winter wool socks come out, and SPD pedals get whipped off. They are not a great idea once the roads get icy.

I always found my Altura Night Vision jacket a tad too warm for my 10 mile hilly commute. OK for really poor weather though. particularly when I have to slow down and I stop generating a lot of body heat.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Most of you say Altura, but they got like tens of models hahaha. I'll spend some time to read about them.

It may sound silly, but I'm commuting in my Wolverine Harden Gore-Tex boots :smile: . I've got my 2 previous pairs of boots nicked from site (£129 each) forcing me to have them on. Therefore, the weather hasn't been an issue :smile:) Now I'm thinking about a normal pair of trainers as I bought a decent padlock.

So far my choise is a buffed neck merino LS (I won't have to change at work) as base layer for cold days, or a polyester short sleeve t-shirt/jersey. I'll see what jackets Altura got online.
Night vision evo the one to go for imo

Top Bottom